Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

S1 switch on Fender American Series Jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hey everyone,
    I have a small problem. I have went through two basses at GC and am about to go through a third. The first two had various problems I hadn't noticed until getting home.

It's been two weeks since I bought this one, but the S1 switch doesn't pop back out unless you turn the knob all the way down. Is this normal?

I checked out two other basses at GC--the S1 switch on one wouldn't even pop out and the other one had trouble as well. Is this a common problem with Fender?

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've played a number of Fenders with the S-1 switch and haven't had that problem. Then again, I wasn't at GC. Sometimes basses on the floor at GC suffer from BGS (otherwise known as Battered Guitar Syndrome) because they are too often handled/mishandled by folks who either have no idea what they are doing or don't care.

Take it back to GC and either make them fix it or find one you like out of their stockroom which doesn't suffer from BGS.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i solved t his problem by never shopping at GC again. I made the mistake of buying a bass from them (after swearing to my local guys that i would never do such a thing), but i was getting the American with the s1 and they had it in transparent orange with the perfect grain. I <3 that bass. But then i had a small problem with the bass 2 months after i took it home so i took it back te guy thtold it tomeand he was a huge douche. I didn't buy their warranty thing so clearly i was not worth talking to. It was really a mistake on my part, th uys at Royal Music by me can get me w/e i want and they don't work on comission so they tell me if someting is s**t.

Long story short: don't go to GC kids.

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Very good moral. Alot of people go to GC just to mess around on some expensive gear with no intention of buying. That gear ends up turning into crap which people like me end up buying :crying: Anyway I'd try to have GC fix the problem if i were you, and once thats all done, stay far away. Find a good local shop to buy your gear from or order it yourself online. You'd be surprized on how good the service is for places like MF.

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    My local guitar shop has told me that the S-1 switches on the newer MIA Fenders are notorious for becoming sticky like you mentioned.

6. JEberle

JEberle

May 17, 2003
    Cincinnati
    The S-1 switch on mine sticky slightly when the vol pot is all the way up, but works fine if you back it off slightly. It hasn't bothered me enough to take a look at it yet, but I will try to this weekend.

Jim