1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SA Aftershock - Frequency Splitting for both channels before effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alex_H, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Alex_H

Alex_H

Aug 5, 2019
    I'am using a KMA Tyler Frequency Splitter where the low pass filter loop contains a slight overdrive, just to give it a little bit more grit but not destroys the bass and the high pass filter loop contains more overdrive/distortion. While this setup works for me, it takes an enormous amount of pedal space. I have to populate two loops with stuff. ;) and the Tyler is not a small pedal either.

The aftershock could maybe replace a lot of that stuff. I just don't know, if I could setup both chanels in paralell and put a low pass filter before one overdrive/distortion of the that channel and a high pass filter on the other channel before the second overdrive/distortion.

Code:
            +--- Low Pass Filter --- Overdrive/Distortion ----+
            |                                                 |
    Input --+                                                 +-- Output
            |                                                 |
            +--- High Pass Filter --- Overdrive/Distortion ---+

I need the placement of the filters before the distortion/overdrive effect! The low or high passed input signal changes the operation of the distortion unit drastically compared to a dry signal and putting a low or high pass filter after that distortion unit.

I took a peak into the manual and at some reviews but all I found, was a parallel mode with the EQ sections after the distortion units.

Raimonds likes this.
  2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    You could try and replace the entire setup with a Line6 HX Stomp?

It has built in splitters and crossovers, and if you're not happy with the built in distortions, you can plug one of your own in via the send/return jacks.

If frequency splitting though you have the choice of a wide range of guitar pedals and amps to use on the high band, as well as the bass specific stuff such as the B7K and Sansamp models. Plus you can add a compressor to the low band for no extra outlay or board space!

3. sifrancis

sifrancis

Oct 29, 2012
    Belfast
    Mesa, Darkglass, EQD, Mantic, Source Audio, Yamaha, Delano, Hamstead Soundworks
    From my experience with the Aftershock you sadly couldn't sort the HPF & LPF for each parallel path before the drive circuits. Had a father play around today and couldn't see a way to do it.

The HX Stomp from Line 6 is a superb way of achieving this, as well as allowing for all sorts of other interesting crossover effect possibilities (octaves on low band, modulation/delay/reverb on high band...etc).

As one final suggestion I did end up uncovering some interesting tones with the Source Audio C4 going in to the Aftershock with each of the two outputs of the C4 feeding the inputs of the Aftershock. I could use this to set standard HPF/LPF for each channel, as well as allowing for octave splits (octave down to one channel, octave up to another) and some other interesting synth and filter sounds... was definitely a large chunk of fun and made for some great sounds.

It's worth noting though, that the dual SA pedal setup is pretty much the same price as the HX Stomp.

clarke46 and Alex_H like this.
  4. Alex_H

Alex_H

Aug 5, 2019
    The C4 is on my list of pedals I really, really want on my board. I tried already some octavers for that synth tone. At the moment I have for that purpose a TC Sub'n'Up, SA Manta and SA Multi Wave Distortion. The later ones are connected to a neuro hub.

I will have a closer look at the Line6 HX Stomp. Especially what are the possibilities with send/return loops. Thank you both at mentioning the pedal.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  5. Alex_H

Alex_H

Aug 5, 2019
    Update: Damn! That Lin6 unit does nearly all I want. Sadly you can only run six effects at one time and with that, I could not duplicate my two gainstages 1:1. I bet I could achieve a decent sound with it, but when I spent this kind of money, I want at least to have the chance to make a 1:1 copy. The bigger models can do more, but are even more expensive. I guess I put that on the X-mas list ... ;)

Nunovsky likes this.
  6. sifrancis

sifrancis

Oct 29, 2012
    Belfast
    Mesa, Darkglass, EQD, Mantic, Source Audio, Yamaha, Delano, Hamstead Soundworks
    It's worth noting that you also get two effects loops (use a y-split cable for the stereo effects send). So whilst each of these will "cost" a block per loop, it would allow you to add in any specific pedals you want and may well work to allow that single fx loop block to actually cover multiple effects.
    Out of interest, what are your two gain stages?

7. Alex_H

Alex_H

Aug 5, 2019
    Yes, I know. One I would use for that C4. The other one for my NUX looper.

For the Low Frequency Loop I use a Behringer BASS BDI 21 (Sansamp Bass Driver Clone) after which BOD400 (Boss ODB-3 Bass OverDrive) follows. The Blend and Drive of the BDI 21 is set to max. The drive of the BOD400 is around 10 o'clock. That signal starts to thicken and growl, but does not really distort.
    Low_Frequency_Loop_-_0_Behringer_V-Tone_Bass_BDI_21.jpg Low_Frequency_Loop_-_1_Behringer_BOD400_Bass_Overdrive.jpg

For the High/Mid Frequency Loop I use at the start a the Sentry Noise Gate from TC Electronic. The gain pedals and a Boss LS-2 are in it's loop. The LS-2 has the purpose of a blend knob, but I experimented with parallel distortion too. The gain channel starts with a Harley Benton Vintage Overdrive (made by Joyo and a decent clone of the Ibanez Tubescreamer 808) followed by a Behringer Tube Monster VT999 (clone of the Ibanez TK999 Tube King) which goes into a Marshall GV-2 Gov'Nor Plus (the newer, modern version). All three pedals have a very mild setting for them selfs, just a little beyond the point, where distortion begins. A little bit more and that stage would enter fuzz land. But on that low settings it just sound like a marshall with a small boost before.
    High_Frequency_Loop_-_0_tc_electronic_Sentry.jpg High_Frequency_Loop_-_1_Boss_LS-2_Line_Selector.jpg
    High_Frequency_Loop_-_2_Harley_Benton_aka_Joyo_Vintage_Overdrive.jpg High_Frequency_Loop_-_3_Behringer_Vintage_Tube_Monster_VT999.jpg High_Frequency_Loop_-_4_Marshall_GV-2_GovNor_Plus.jpg

Yeah, I know it's all cheap stuff. But it does the job for me.

8. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    Great use of the C4!

sifrancis and Alex_H like this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021