Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SABBDI soundclip - is this typical ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Feb 12, 2006.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Here's a clip of the SABDDI, but i'm wondering how much of the tone is down to the pedal ( or rack - i dont which it is ), or whether the ZON's pup is a big part of the tone.

Having never heard a SABDDI, can the experienced sansamp folk tell if this is a typical tone one can expect ?

ZON lightwave 5 fretless / No amplifier /

Bass into sansamp bass driver DI, into mackie 1402vlz into soundcard.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3486717&q=hi

2. I wouldn't call it typical of the sound us mere mortals would achieve from the BDDI. By that I mean that not everyone owns a Zon Lightwave!!! But, the overall sound doesn't utilise the BDDI all that much if you ask me. It's contribution is quite subtle by the sound of that clip.

What is impressive about it to me is the way it can take a fairly mediocre bass and beef it up nicely. I bought it way back when I was playing my first bass - a Samick jazz. I found it could almost make those cruddy single coils sound more like a humbucker. Great for slapping really heavy riffs.

3. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Yup, i'd agree that not everyone owns a ZON, and if that tone has little to do with the Sansamp BDDI he's playing through, then i could be barking up the wrong tree.

Dammit - i was hoping someone would say that most of that thick slightly overdriven sound was mostly down to the sansamp !

Nuts :)

4. Well, those are words that I would use to describe the sansamp though, so maybe all is not lost.

I know your frustration, I've been known to have a b*#ch about the SansAmp website. What you need is a sample that shows you before and after comparisons!

Can't you get to a music shop to hear it for yourself first hand?

5. I too don't have a Sans Amp (or Zon Light Wave) but am looking at buying one - is there any compression on that track? How much does the Sans Amp compress the signal? Or is it the bass or players technique?

It sounds compressed to my ears and I think that sounds fantastic - it puts the whole bass part "up front" and the little fretless "burps" don't attack and distort your speakers. Does that have anyting to do with the Sans Amp? Can you dial in more or less compression (with the blend or drive knobs)?

Thanks,

Benner

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I hear more Zon than SABDDI.

7. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I guess every piece of equipment is going to have some effect on the final sound, and there wasnt enough info as to whether compression was used or not.

Maybe software compression ? The info was 'no amp used ' - so if there was any comp, it was done with software

8. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    The BDDI will compress your signal more as you turn up the drive knob.