Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SABBDI vs Yamaha NE-1 parametric

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Feb 18, 2003.

1. I did a pretty extensive search on the Sansamp preamp/DI, and it seems that about 60% of those who own them think they're great with the rest falling somewhere between indifference and regret at buying them.

Now, what I'd like to know is if anyone owns both of them or has A/b ed them. I have an NE-1 and love it. After reading what a lot of you said about the Sansamp, I don't know if it would be worth it. Sometimes you luck out with the first piece of gear you buy, know what I mean? The NE-1 sounds great to me. I can't imagine the Sansamp sounding that much better - does it?

Mike

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Mike you have to go to a store with your bass and see for yourself. These things are really versitile, but there is a small learning curve towards getting a good sound. I believe that you will quickly master that curve, and be able to make an informed decision. It's a quality piece of gear, I lovew mine, but you really need to hear it. This goes for all these pre/di type combo's I think.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I own them both, and they are two very different gizmos. The NE-1 is designed to produce variations on the "smiley face" EQ (some with a hare lip), while the SABDDI provides bass and treble boost with available overdrive. If I were to own only one, it would be the SABDDI due to its greater versatility. If I was jonesing to sound more like my main man Nathan East, then I'd keep the NE-1, which is more of a one-trick-pony.

4. i don't do the smiley EQ thing so for tone shaping purposes i bow out, but i do appreciate the great tubey distortion on my sansamp.

5. Thanks much, Bliss, Munji and Dancehall. I'll probably just end up buying one because I've wanted one for about a year and a half now. I'm on the fence at the moment: it's either a bunch of accessories, or a fretless Ibanez EDA905.

Apperciate it. :)

Mike

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Don't get me wrong ... the NE-1 gets some nice sounds, but they're kinda jazzy-ish. They're a good effect for the money. I don't think you'll be disappointed, just don't look for all the tones on god's green earth out of it.

7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I used to own a SABBDI. I found it to be very well made and, as everyone pointed out, versatile. And, yes, it did provide some "tubey" like grind....but I also found its tone to be kinda "generic"; it seemed to choke and attenuate my own playing nuance and personality which did not really do justice to my playing style. I sold it, at a considerable bargain, to one of my students who now absolutely loves it. That goes to show that picking these kinds of devices is a very personal matter (one man's meat being another man's poison...)

Recently I picked up a NE-1, mostly due to the ridiculously low blow-out price at MF, and I had demo'd one on a studio gig sometime back.
    Let me start by saying I have always been a bit wary of Yamaha gear..IMHO they don't live up to the hype (again a mater of personal taste), nor am I someone who scoops out the mids a lot (I rewally like mids! And as a solo bassist, they are handy!), but the NE-1 is a rather unique box. One-trick pony? Well, there are some variations on that one trick. I am finding I use mine more and more as it is is so butt-simple to change tone colours with. This is especially helpful with the loop-intensive solo stuff I do. I tend to shy away from from the heavyily scooped stuff and use some of the shallow settings more, or the Deep 8-10 for a trebly chording tone....
    It is dead quiet! Well made..etc. etc. with a nice top end sparkle.... I have been using mine in the fx insert of a L.R. Baggs ParaAcoustic DI and find this gives for a lot of tonal variety with my acosutic/electric basses.
    Max

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Alright. Two tricks.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hardly see how these 2 can be compared.
    They are completely different one from the other.
    You could have both (or none), they don't share the same duties.
    As said, you need to try them to know what you need.

10. dogman

dogman

Oct 21, 2001
    da Swamps
    pretty much what Munjibunga & Jazz Ad said(Hey dude!! :D)
    I own both and they do two different things,albeit very well.The Sansamp is extremely handy since it can do mutliduties of a DI,an overdrive and some nice tone shaping.The NE-1 is a handy unit for sculpting your sound(I find it very helpful when switching out among different basses)
    All in all, they are both great, youll just have to try them both and see which one works better for you or which one you need more right now..:cool:

11. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i ehard that the NE-1 worck very well in studio

and also for playing live when you going to go directly to the console

so what is your opinion?

my main bass is a thumb 5

also i erad alot of reviews about adding the low mid to the eq