Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassampegman, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Well i tried all these out and this is my personal results.

Note i was looking to add overdrive, meat etc to my good tone, not use it as the device for achieving my tone.

SADDBI: Second time i had tried this, the first time i didnt like it, this time with a better setting on the blend, i.e about 40% i kept my good tone and added a nice drive to it allthough it did pull out the mids a bit.

HARTKE VXL BASS ATTACK: Yuk this was the worst, even when off the level knobs etc alter your volume etc.I couldnt get a decent sound out of this very tinny and harsh sounding and it ruined my original tone.

MXR-M80: First time i used it i didnt like it, wasnt anything as good as the Tech21, however again with very careful adjustments it did sound better later on. I would say that this is a close runner to the Tech21 but it didnt have that valve emulation thingy happening.

FULLTONE BASS DRIVER: Well by far the nicest built, had the new version with toggle switch from comp cut, Fm and Vintage modes.This had a great choice of overdrives and i think if it had had a blend knob it would of been perfect, but it was all or nothing so wasnt for me as my "normal" bass sound suffered at the expense of the overdrive sound.For somebody looking for quality bass overdrive distortion then this is it, somebody looking for a bit of valve growl and grit with their original bass amp tone then its not for them.

Conclusion: Tech 21 came out the best by far as long as you work with it and use the blend knob to get the best mix .I used this live and it did really add the right amount of extra kick just when needed and while off it didnt alter my tone at all.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    nice summary. There's so many "what's best" questions, when there's no one aswer - it's down to what you're looking for.
    I use the M80 live, more for it's 3 band eq and two channel operation. When the new multi channel BDDI comes out, I'll be buying one of those.
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm gonna go try that Radial Bassbone DI again, maybe you should try that as well bassampegman I'm not sure what your searching for but it's worth a try.

I just got a new kinda rare pre that has quite alot of tube grind for a Solid State unit, I'll start a new thread about it anyway.

Can you tell me bassampegman what was your criteria in your recent tone search so I can apply that view to these DI reviews. Only because I slammed the Radial Bassbone when I tried it but I was looking for something it didn't do (I ended up with an aphex bass exciter so you can see the direction I was heading in.)
  4. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Oops missed that ignore some of my comments then
  5. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Good review.... and I agree with your results.

Nice work and thanks for taking the time to post it!