Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SABDDI scoop mids?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jnightmare, Nov 12, 2004.

1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    just wondering if the sans amp BDDI scoops the mids with the lack of a knob to control the mids? if so does it scoop it a lot, or is there a way to change the settings to some how compinsate for the mids being scooped? im thinking of getting a sans amp BDDI, i tried looking around but didnt find anything. ill continue to scour the forums but in the meantime can anyone answer my question? thanks in advance for any help.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Using high settings of 'blend' does produce a scooped sound in my experience. I rarely put it more than 50%

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've read somewhere in a site that SELLS them (maybe the Tech21 site?) that you can turn down the bass and treble to flatten it, but just about every regular USER report I've read mentions that it's a rather a super-scooper. I tried one once at a music store into a big PA system; I thought it sounded GREAT - it had the most natural overdrive sound that you could add just the slightest amount of, or turn it up for a total 'Tool sound' - but it scooped for-sure (I left the mix control on 100%). I didn't try flattening it by turning down the bass and treble controls. I grabbed a Warwick to test it with, so who knows how much of that great sound in my ears was comparing a Warwick to my Peavy Foundation! I even thought it sounded compressed (I always run full-time compression), but that too could have been that granite block of a bass I was playing.

I can't see when I'll be able to have a $2000 bass, but I'm pretty sure I'm buying a Sansamp. I read that the rackmount version has a mid control that you have to cut to get scoop (but it costs something like twice as much).

Joe

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've been using a SABDDI as my sole preamp for about a year and a half or so. I like pretty fat mids, and with some judicious knob-twiddling, I have them. You can get mid-honk or slap-scoop depending on what you do with it. Tech 21 states that the midrange is pre-set, so how prominent the mids are depends on how the bass and treble knobs are set. IME, this is correct. I usually set the Bass, Treble, and Presence at 12 o'clock, and the blend at about 3 or 4 o'clock (pretty much all the way to the right). But I'm not running it into a combo or head, I'm running it into a power amp. If I run it into a head, I have the blend knob at 9 or 10 o'clock, otherwise the sound gets thick and ugly.

Turning the knobs on the SABDDI a little can do a lot. Very slight adjustments can have a big impact on your tone. It's taken me a while to really understand all the tone-shaping capabilities this little box has, and I'm still exploring.

Sorry if I sound like a salesman, I just like it. However, it has limitations - there's only so much you can do with this many knobs. Also, I'm not as thrilled with the overdrive as many people seem to be. It's not bad, just not exactly what I'm looking for. That's OK, though, I can use another pedal for that. However, for what it is, it's an amazingly flexible tone-shaping tool, and works very well for me.

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, in my experience the controls can be very sensitive, especially when going from bass to bass. Varying the presence between just 12 and 1 o'clock can make a huge difference. On one bass, 1 o'clock sounds great, but too harsh on my other. And tweaking the blend knob is one of the keys to striking a balance between upper mid twang and lower mid growl.

If you can do without the overdrive of the SABDDI, the Acoustic DI has a variable midrange control. I haven't used one myself, but I've seen a lot of guys here who prefer it over the BDDI.

6. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    +1 on the Acoustic DI. It really works well for bass.

7. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    for this very reason, I find my MXR M-80 to be superior for my applications. No compression or scooped mids.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

ditto

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used a SansAmp BDDI as my sole preamp for a while. I set it for the "Fat Tube" setting and left it. I thought it sounded great. I am now using an Avalon U5. I switched because the BDDI didn't work for my upright bass.

My current gigs call for clean tone - hence the Avalon. If I ever get a gig where I need a bit more "drive" I'll pick up another BDDI.