Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SABDDI with hybrid amp and passive bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Whitebread, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    I've been reading alot about the Sansamp bass driver on this forum and have been considering purchasing one (specifically the programmable model). Some have spoken of issues in running it with a tube amp; that the doubling of preamps can cause muddiness.

I am running a Geddy Lee Jazz bass into an Ampeg Svp-Pro preamp and QSC 1850 power amp, and will soon be purchasing a Bergantino NV 610 (a sealed, tweeterless cab). The sansamp would be used as a stompbox for when I need some grit or overdrive. The drive on my preamp is nice, but it can't be controlled with a footswitch so I prefer to leave it on a low setting, as my band has songs which switch between heavy and clean, dancy parts.

Does anyone have experience with the sansamp in a similar set-up that could tell me how it sounds, as I don't know of any store in my area that carries them.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You'd be better off buying a good overdrive, since you don't need any other function of the BDDI.

3. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    Maybe the Fulltone Bass-Drive (similar price) would be a better choice for me?

4. boss odb-3

5. if you want the use of the 3 channels then it's really the only thing doing that. most people though don't really use too much of it's really gritty sound so it'd be really worth your while trying one out if you can. i use a passive bass and have used hybrid amps with no problems at all. if you just want someting that does overdrive their are better products out there... fulltone, voodoo labs etc