1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sabotage?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassinplace, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Hello,

I'm feeling a bit guilty about becoming lax in my practice routine lately so I thought I would post here about it.

I've been studying for about 9 mos. now out of books and am currently at the beginning of my fourth book.

What I've recently discovered is that it is much easier now for me to jam along with my CD's then it was before. I have 16 yrs. experience as a drummer and a good ear. When I fire up the computer and start jamming the ideas are starting to come to me with so much more ease now!

The problem is I'm having so much fun with it that I'm starting to neglect the book study which is what got me to this point in the first place, so I know it's best for me to keep up with it. But jamming is so much more fun!

It's not like I don't play every day, I do. Just not as much on the theory recently. Any one got any pointers or routines you use to keep yourself disciplined? Thanks!

2. playing to cds is practice- it makes you better- and- most importantly- you like it- so do it. i didnt learn a single scale for the first couple of years i played- once i got a real teacher and did dove into theory- i could get around the bass well enough to actually be able to use that knowledge. what good is knowing an esoteric scale/mode if you play it inconsistently with fret buzz etc? also- once you memorize the scales/chords/otherstuff- thats pretty much it- then you implement it.

also- once youve got a bunch of songs you know and love to play- and then later learn the theory- its pretty easy to go back and see what key its in- if there are any changes.

before i play- i crack my knuckles- shake out my hands- and play the same lick ive played for years- gets me into bass mode. hardwiring your brain to get into that mode seems to be really important for improvement. i also listen to the same song before tests for the same reason- shift gears- get ready to rock in whatever im doing.

3. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Thanks. Good points. I just want to get really good at sight reading but man, it's a chore. I told someone who's been playing bass for quite a while that I'm learning how to read and he said it was like "chewing grass". I think he's right. Just gotta keep my nose to grindstone, I suppose. Eventually I'm gonna get there...

4. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    The best thing you can do for sight reading is to learn as much notated music as is humanly possible and try to do it as quickly (and cleanly) as possible

this link was posted on here a while ago and I saved it... should give you plenty of material... just set a metronome to a not too fast speed and start reading... try not stopping the first time through and see if you make it. then work some stuff out and play through it again to finish... then move onto the next one. You just gotta keep in your head that everything has to be perfect. http://www.lucaspickford.com/transbass.htm

Also once you get decent you can try and get into a pit orchestra/band at a local church, school, or community group it's really great sight reading practice... you don't get that kind of pressure anywhere else

5. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    of course... it IS best just to keep playing no matter what... and whatever's keeping you goin' right now should be what you're doing.