Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sabre info

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brothernewt, Oct 19, 2005.

1. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Hi all,

I joined a new band and there's a pretty beat Sabre (belongs to the guitar player) in our practice space. I played it for a few but couldn't get a good sound out of it (I think the strings might be older than the bass).

I wasn't able to tell where flat was on the tone knobs... are they cut/boost? Is there (or should there be) center detents? I didn't have time to tweak and listen that much, so I was hoping someone hear could help.

J

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, they're cut/boost. Presumably they are flat at the center, if you can figure out where that is. If this is an older Sabre, it'll have three mini toggle switches. The middle switch is a phase switch, and when that switch is engaged, you won't get much bass out of it. Also, the battery could need replacing, and, as you said, the strings need replacing. When everything is working right, that bass is a tone monster.