Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sabre, or New Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I've always loved the way the sabre looks, and I know it'll sound good, but what I was wondering is if I should shell out 1000-1500 bucks to get a vintage (preferably 70s) sabre, or spend 1200 and get a new H/S or H/H stingray. I've always had a thing for vintage basses, and I'm going to be saving up money for one of these, so I need to know which one you guys would pick if you had to choose.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm kinda thinking about the same decision, though it's not a top priority for the time being... I'll probably go for a good 70s Sabre eventually. The good ones I've played (have played a few dogs as well) were great -- had a sound I really identified with: stringy and bright but still full and meaty. I prefer ash/maple.

I've only played an HH Ray once, just the other day in a local store. Had pretty new strings and a decent setup, and a rosewood board. I wasn't knocked out. Not quite as full or responsive as IME a good Pre-EB bass (Sabre or Ray). It was a good instrument, but didn't really do much for me.

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I also prefer ash/maple. I'm going to hope to find either a Ray, Sterling, or Sabre with a maple maple neck, ash body, H/H or H/s (not counting sabre) and a tort guard. But I can always find a replacement pickguard so that isn't a must.

Greg

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Sterling. :p

Anyhow, if you find a good deal on a Sabre, go for it. There are a lot more Stingrays than Sabres around, and you can always find a 'ray later on. Especially since you are into the vintage thing, there you go.

5. honestly, having never played a sabre, and playing a stingray HH i'd say go new.

1. You get to be the original owner and it'll be vintage sooner or later :)
    2. no design flaws
    3. Amazing tone
    4. amazing neck
    5. color/fretboard choice

About number 3. This is probably the best bass I've ever played. I dont own one. I'm dying for a sterling though. The tones were mostly all usable, position 3,4 are amazing.

6. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    the H/S Sterling (Ash, Maple, Tort) and GC was AMAZING. I liked everything about it, but I was just asking about the sabre because on harmony central and stuff, they said they got them for 5-600 bucks, and I've heard they have amazing tone, so I had to jump at that a little. I'm definately a sterling fan though ( I never knew that that was the name of his son!)

Greg

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    If th bass is not a primary bass I would get the Sabre. If it's going to be the primary/only bass get the new Stingray the Sabres, especially in an Ash/maple combo will be very heavy. If you're into vintage and can get one for 600 bucks, you can't pass it up. A few years ago I had an ash/maple stingray and didn't use it on gigs because it was heavy. The newer models are definitely more "modern"

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you are mainly a working bassist, get a new two pup Stingray. I played one again today, I cannot think of a better deal for a new bass, unless one just finds a great deal at a sale somewhere. If you are more of a hobbyist or collector, get the Sabre. It sounds great and it sure is "1980's vintage."

9. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I'm a 15 year old who works every summer at the local pool to earn money to fund my expensive hobbies (some of the most expensive too! Besides golf and drugs that is). I want a versatile 4 string that can be a great slapper, and that I can get really good tone out of for my high school jazz band. My main bass is an Ibby Sr1006 prestige, and I love it, but I like slapping on 4's better, and sightreading is so mich easier w/o 2 extra strings.

any opinions change?

Greg

10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I wold sell my golf clubs and gear and start doing crack. Nothing feels like a good 10 minute crack high.

:bag:

11. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    yah, but nothing feels as bad as the depression right after that 10 minute crazk high.

Don't do drugs, sure, Jimi hendrix did them, and he is said to be the best of the guitar, and sure, Jzco did them, and he is said to be the best bass player, but they both died around 30, not worth it IMO

oh, and look at all of the non-successful musicians that are on drugs...

Greg

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Keep working it will pay off!! I had the same situation when I was in high school and there weren't as many basses available:eek: . My decision was between a T40, Pbass and Sabre. At the time I got the Sabre. Later on I bought a P bass because everybody wanted to hear that sound. I was in high school and wanted to play music so I eventually sold my Sabre (stupid mistake) and got PBass.

That being said, that same Pbass put my through college and allowed for me to be in the position I'm in now. Keep working and keep playing. 20 years from now you will wish you had the Sabre. Right now the J Bass is probably what will work best for most of the things you do.