Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sabre question and comment...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Irie01, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I just bought a Musicman Sabre.It,s natural body and maple fretboard.I am waiting to get the info. from the serial number so I ll find out what year it is.It has the 5-way selector switch and 3band so I figure its an 80's. This is the sweetest bass I have ever played. It feels perfect for me playability wise.I am in love with sound too. I had a Stingray for a couple months and now have owned a Sterling for a few months and I think the Sabre takes the cake as far as the tone.
    After comparing the Sabre side by side with the Sterling, it gets a much deeper,richer tone...just what I have been looking for and couldnt get out of the Sterling.It is actually lighter then the Sterling which I couldnt believe. So I now have a 4month old custom Sterling for sale if anyone is interested. It is V.Sunburst body, maple fretboard. Let me know if you are interested.
    My question that I had was about the pickups and a slight problem. What is the differences between the "open pole" humb'ers and the covered humb'ers as far as sound and tone goes? I have also noticed that it is making a hiss when it osplugged in at times.It is weird because when I put my finger on a nob,a string, or the metal plate than it stops. It gets worst when the treble gets higher. If I set the selector switch to just the 3rd p'up than it makes a very distorted sound from the bass.If anyone knows what may cause this please let me know., Thanks.

2. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    PIX?

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you have a bad ground somewhere. when you touch the knobs you become the ground.

i'd have a tech look over the electronics. otherwise - sweet bass man. musicman basses will always hold a special place in my heart, and the reason i'm planning on letting go of my sterling is only because i want that neck pickup. too bad sabres are so expensive.