Sabre question and comment...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Irie01, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I just bought a Musicman Sabre.It,s natural body and maple fretboard.I am waiting to get the info. from the serial number so I ll find out what year it is.It has the 5-way selector switch and 3band so I figure its an 80's. This is the sweetest bass I have ever played. It feels perfect for me playability wise.I am in love with sound too. I had a Stingray for a couple months and now have owned a Sterling for a few months and I think the Sabre takes the cake as far as the tone.
    After comparing the Sabre side by side with the Sterling, it gets a much deeper,richer tone...just what I have been looking for and couldnt get out of the Sterling.It is actually lighter then the Sterling which I couldnt believe. So I now have a 4month old custom Sterling for sale if anyone is interested. It is V.Sunburst body, maple fretboard. Let me know if you are interested.
    My question that I had was about the pickups and a slight problem. What is the differences between the "open pole" humb'ers and the covered humb'ers as far as sound and tone goes? I have also noticed that it is making a hiss when it osplugged in at times.It is weird because when I put my finger on a nob,a string, or the metal plate than it stops. It gets worst when the treble gets higher. If I set the selector switch to just the 3rd p'up than it makes a very distorted sound from the bass.If anyone knows what may cause this please let me know., Thanks.
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you have a bad ground somewhere. when you touch the knobs you become the ground.

i'd have a tech look over the electronics. otherwise - sweet bass man. musicman basses will always hold a special place in my heart, and the reason i'm planning on letting go of my sterling is only because i want that neck pickup. too bad sabres are so expensive.