1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sad but True

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dbase, Jun 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! He had enough to blow on a bumper sticker though, right? ;)

Yeah the money has dried up in music unless you are super famous. A friend works for a booking agency in Nashville. You wouldn't believe how little money it takes to book acts that five years ago had hit after hit. He is working out details of booking a star that several years ago (less than 5 years ago) had 4 hits and was nominated for several awards and won one. That star and the band can be had for around $18,000. The star himself will be lucky to net a few grand on the night. If that's true for an act on that level, what does it say about the local music scene?

Garret Graves and Winfred like this.
  3. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks for my Monday morning TB laugh :laugh:

4. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    Do you know how to become a millionaire? Start two million. Then start a music career.

5. The music business at one time was record sales, then if went to money touring and ticket sales, as the stages became larger for a band to walk away with any money it was marketing sales, concert posters, hats, t-shirts, and show booklets. Now the music business that was once a " business" is gone and it has become self promotion, self investment, If you are lucky enough to get someone to invest in your dream you walk away with little to no profit. Sadly most bands that tour today walk away with less money then they started with.
    example I read not long ago:
    The band made $135,983 in total income for their tour. They had $147,802 in expenses which included an up front investment in cash of $7000.00 and $17,000 on a credit card
    they lost $11,819! This was a 28 day tour of the US 24 shows 23 cities that is sad. Not to mention, $17,000 on a credit card at even at best interest rate on the planet is going to take you years to pay off. this is a sample of a typical interest rate on credit cards, if they can come up with $500.00 a month minimum payment yeah 4 years and 10 months let's hope they stay together that long :)

upload_2016-6-29_10-43-54.

6. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I may not have cash.... But I have a lot of oatmeal. That's gotta count for something, right?!

LiquidMidnight, zontar and McG like this.
  7. Love it!

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Go back just a little further and the stars can be had for five or six grand. Even less if you provide the band.

The trouble is, the older they get the lower the draw. If you want to fill a stadium today forget Sammy Kershaw or even Dwight. They cost according to ability to sell tickets and this day and age what appeals to the eighteen to twenty five crowd is what draws biggest, at least until the next big thing rolls out of Nashvegas and knocks down the current big dogs to medium or even little dog level. Country music stars have always been disposable. Work them to death for a few years and if they don't OD or implode, put 'em on the farm team when you trot out generic young pretty thing number thirty in a big hat and boots.

Just like Tom Parker said when asked what he was going to do now that Elvis was dead. He told the guy "I'm gonna keep making money off him."

Bassammich and dbase like this.
  9. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    We'll never starve as long as Top Ramen stays cheap

dbase and Killed_by_Death like this.