Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Sad" Chords

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, May 29, 2001.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    since my theory isn't particularly up to scratch, i'm trying to write a melodic and melancholic song on the bass detailing the messy break-up i recently went through :oops: .. and i was wondering if anyone could help me out with chords that sound "sad", if you know what i'm getting at.

cheers, people

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Is anyone else thinking of Spinal Tap and the key of Dm?...

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Flat the third.

4. minors, minor pentatonics...

5. LOL i agree on the key of Dm...

i really feel yer pain there tones, i just had my heart broken too. i feel all strange and hollow inside. first time i'd ever actually been in love... it's just hard.

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    yeah man .. happened last night :( same deal here, bud - first time i _knew_ i was actually in love. i was in full-on shock for about an hour afterwards. couldn't stop shaking, choking on nothing, y'know? the worst thing is that it's my fault entirely. i blew it with her and now i'm coming to the realisation that i gotta live with that for the rest of my life, and i know i'll never find anyone else like her.
    but hey, it's all relevant and we wouldn't be human if we didn't suffer a little every now and again.
    thanks for your help, people .. tho i don't get the "Spinal Tap" references ?

7. use minor chords like other people said... im sorry to hear about the breakup.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Lots of augmented chords! :D

Okay, kidding. Minor chords (flatted 3rd) tend to convey "sadder" sounds. Experiment with these and with minor keys to find a sound that really moves you. Diminished chords work great for creating tension. It would be great to experiment with that as well. And hey, at the end of this, maybe you'll come out more experienced in harmonies and song-writing, so it'll turn out to be a positive experience after all!

9. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    *lost*

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Aminor.

Then work in Dm, F7, Bb7, and E7.

You'll get there.

11. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Hey, go for ANGER!
    Flat the fith a la Korn. ;)

12. "It's in the key of D minor, the saddest of all the chords really."

>>plays ballad on piano<<

"That's beautiful...what do you call it?"

"Lick My Love Pump."

That still cracks me up.

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Spinal Tap is my all time most favorite band. Why? Because they suffered so many incredible, hilarious, ridiculous things, and the bands I have been in have all had so many "Spinal Tap" moments that I feel that I have something in common with them. Yes, I know they were fictional, but there is so much truth in their fiction.