1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sad Day!!! Need Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by backin82, May 13, 2018.

1. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    We'll, it finally happened. I dropped an amp during load-in this morning. Been playing for nearly 15 years and never had that happen.

In this case, it is my beloved GK MB212. It fell from about 3 ft and landed just behind the head portion directly on to asphalt pavement. The sound and feeling were devastating.

As far as I can tell, the only visual damages are the small metal corners are crushed, some tolex smashed, and the power button is now misaligned/recessed into the chassis. From a sound perspective, it is noticeably quieter and seems like the highs are nearly gone.

So, what do I do??? Should I open it up and try to assess the problems? Send it to a local tech for evaluation? Send it back to Sweetwater for their people to look it over? Either way I'm looking at some (likely) expensive repairs.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Send it to a GK tech. I wouldn't even bother opening it up yourself.

3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Sorry it happened, @backin82! Do you have any authorized GK service near you? I don't this is covered under warranty... :cool:... unless you purchased extra coverage, that is.

Something may have come loose with a fall from that height, but unless you're well versed in safety considerations, regarding electronics of this nature, probably best to leave it the pros.

Again, sorry... do you have pics?

Rip Van Dan, basslayer, Deak and 3 others like this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Give GK a call and ask them what they recommend.

Combos taking a fall can cause a lot of damage. Thorough diagnosis, including the cabinet/drivers is important to getting it fixed right.

5. backin82

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    No GK authorized repair centers near me :-(

The only thing i may consider looking at myself would just be physical connections and damage to see if I can get stuff in the right places. As for the board or other parts of the amplifier, I wouldn't know where to start.

Here are some pics. Amazingly, the damage isn't that bad on the outside, but it was a huge impact that sounded horrible. I'd be surprised if there aren't cracks in the cabinet seams, but none are apparent on the outside.

Attached Files:

Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. @backin82 If you open the unit would you have any idea what you are looking at? Meaning no disrespect but without a technical background you could just make things worse.

If you have no GK service people near you a tech may be able to help you put your combo back together properly.

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    My best guess is that the chassis got bent or deformed which can bread things beyond a simple repair.

8. If you are comfortable in opening up the amp and being able to put it all back together again (be honest with yourself) then it shouldn't hurt to have a look around.
    It is more likely that there is one thing causing the symptoms than there are multiple problems.
    If there is something obvious that you are comfortable (there's that word again) in dealing with, then it may be worth a try. But short of possibly just re-seating connectors, avoid any temptation to "fix" something you're not 100% sure about.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    If its quieter you engineered it to be less noisy :) good job

If you loss treble then it sounds like the force of impact might have broke loose connections to tone control pots or elsewhere.

Just needs a simple inspection.
    Could be really bad. Could be no big deal and just blemishes and some touch up or new pots. Or be cracked boards n lifted traces. And other random crap.

Could be worse

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Man that metal corner may have helped you a great deal!

Aaand....a $60 padded cover is always a wise investment.

rodl2005 likes this.
  11. backin82

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I have *some* idea, yes. Mostly I could look at the physical connections between the chassis and cab, speaker connections, and maybe even the cabinet itself. It hit hard. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if it cracked a brace, a seam between panels, or something like that. The way it landed, I thought for sure that it would have just jolted the entire thing apart, but it somehow didn't. It's a testiment to how well these things are built that it didn't just break into 10 pieces in the middle of the street.

In the amp, I'd just be looking for obvious signs of distress and loose connections.

Duder, EatS1stBassist and Spidey2112 like this.
  12. backin82

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Actually, you're kinda right. The power at church is really noisy, and my amp hums really loud. I fired it up this morning and there was no hum at all. I was initially kinda curious/hopeful, but then realized I was missing a lot of volume and highs. My curiosity faded to sorrow very quickly.

13. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Move forward... and be thankful it wasn't the neck on your #1 bass.

14. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    does it have a tweeter or high frequency. driver?

EatS1stBassist and rodl2005 like this.
  15. IME it will be the mass of the magnet causing the speaker frame to bend or magnet to shift enough to rub the voice coil. (like agedhorse said). That is very common with a drop like that and fits the symptoms you describe.

tubedude and alaskaleftybass like this.
  16. If it does have a high range driver is the protection lamp still intact?

EatS1stBassist and rodl2005 like this.
  17. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I'd pull the drivers and test them separately for basic functionality.
    see if there is a protection lamp/fuse as @BassmanPaul said.
    with the drivers out, see if there is a crossover in the box. if so, is there HF signal coming out of it.
    next, run a line out into another piece of gear to see if the output is full range leaving the preamp.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  18. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    if you open it up, will it void the warranty? if you don't know, ask this before you do anything.

19. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Call GK. Call before you attempt to open the unit yourself. You may void any help you can get if you don't call first.
    If you are prone to mishaps like this two things are in order-- buying the accident insurance next time, and a heavily padded cover.

20. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Sad day indeed...

Not sure I would even try plugging it into the wall before it goes to the tech for a once over. Depending on the innards, there could be high voltages shorted to random places just waiting to poke you.

Oddly likes this.