1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sad day tomorrow. Time to say goodbye to a founding member =(

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tpmiller08, Apr 23, 2009.

1. tpmiller08

tpmiller08

Mar 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Hey TB'ers,

About a month ago, I posted a thread about a drummer who was too busy showboating then to keep time. I'm in an originals band, and we have exactly the sound I started playing bass for.

I took advice from everyone on here. Worked with him on a metronome, told him exactly how I felt, and what I felt he was doing wrong. Then went on to actually teach him music theory as its applied. It was only a temporary solution. Every talk put him in place for a few practices, tops.

Also, the more he learns, the more he uses it to fudge up our songs. I taught him syncopation, he used it to add a fill to every measure, if not BAR.

He's affecting other members in the band, and holding us back. He's a great kid, but we've made the decsion as a band to kick him out :(

Everyone in the band is going to be there. But being the straightforward, honest person I am....I'm going to lead the conversation. That wasn't decided, its just the way the band fits.

I'm not really asking advice. Just needed to vent about it, I guess. This band is all the kid has, and we're taking it from him. You need to know where to draw the line between being a musician thats in it for the music, and fun of it, and being friends. We have a replacement (one of the drummers good friends unfortunatly), and I guess this is just the world we live in.

Wish me luck. This is going to be one of the few things in this life I get emotional over.

-Troy

2. Good luck!!! Hopefully it all works out well for everyone...

3. Best of luck my friend, that is not an easy task. Get er done and let us know tomorrow how it went.

4. Shoot_A_Hostage

Shoot_A_Hostage

Apr 14, 2009
    I had this same problem with my drummer.
    Power to you man.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Best wishes

6. Vetchking

Vetchking Banned

Mar 17, 2008
    President G.P.G. Co. "acoustic" USA
    Tell him to play whats on the record. The guy on the record is always right.

Later

7. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    Well, if you've done as much as you can with him and he's still not getting it, then it's time to move on. It's not a personal thing, it's band business and it doesn't sound like he's good for business.

8. tpmiller08

tpmiller08

Mar 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I dont get it. Guy on the record? If ya mean play how the person who played the song before did....we're an originals band.

Sorry for misunderstanding

-Troy

9. Think of it as a breakup with a girlfriend.. Just tell him truthfully that you seem to be moving in different directions, and you should see other people, it might actually be beneficial for him to get some experience with some other bands, but right now you want to try a different path with someone else. It's never easy, but you'll all be better off in the big picture.

10. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    And that you've been banging his sister on the side. :D

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think you have gone WAY beyond the call of duty. It sounds as if you have spent HOURS on this one problem. He's been given every chance, with clear communication along the way. You are justfied.

Still sucks though. Good luck.

12. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Reminds me of a similar situation I was in once with my band. We were a bar band doing extensive road work.

We hired a drummer who was a young kid in his first band. He had a huge set and he could do a solo that was so good the crowd would be on their feet cheering him on. His solo technique was awesome.

The only problem was that his meter sucked and he overplayed on even the most basic tunes. It really wasn't his fault as he hadn't played out much in a group format (if ever). We knew that going in but thought he would get in the groove quickly as he seemed to have a great attitude.

Long story short. After much work on my part with him during off times, he just couldn't get it together. We had to send him packing on a Greyhound back home and replace him with someone who was a better fit.

I still feel bad about it but music is music and sometimes you have to make the tough call.

Good luck.

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Good luck with this, and let us all know how it turns out...

-robert

14. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    You've been teaching him theory?

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    No offense, but bad hire there. When I'm checking out drummers, their solo chops and the size of their kit are absolutely the last things I care about.

Sounds like y'all wised up, though. :D

16. Think Pete Best of the original Beatles, and why Ringo got the chair- Because Ringo was a musician first, then a drummer, dig? What you have is a player, not a musician- he does not care about the music or the song, just his drumming chops.. No use going into touchy feely here- this is for the good of the band's music, and he has proven clearly that he does not care about the music.

Having had to dump problem musicians, I just keep it down to business- simple and to the point- lay it out, and let him go, and wish him luck.

17. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Also, admirable as it is that some of you have taken young drummers under your wing, my approach has always been more that I expect each member of my band to be responsible for their own development. How much of your own growth have you sacrificed by investing so much time into a drummer that didn't work out anyway?

18. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    No offense taken. It did turn out to be a bad hire. I remember going over to his house to hear him and he was good. He asked if I brought my gear (wish I had now). If so I could have played with him and noticed the meter thing.

I just told him to start playing and listened to him play for about 30 minutes straight. I just didn't notice the meter thing and the overplaying at that time. I could tell he was a "busy" type of player but I wrote it off as him just trying to show me how much stuff he could do.

The big kit was a factor because we were more of a "show" type of band with big PA, lights, follow spots, fog, pyro, spandex, the whole deal. A very scripted show. Hey it was the late 70's and early 80's. Big time party and many "controlled" substances. If you get the drift :D

The kid "lived" for drums. While most kids were out partying and chasing chicks, he would play for hours. He never had any lessons, never practiced with recordings, and just didn't have any real world experience. He was eager and I thought he would come around. What was I thinking :meh: must have been the "controlled" substances.

He was hurt when we had to let him go, but he did totally understand what was going on and I've always wondered what happened to him. I hope that he eventually got settled down and started to get in the groove as he did have natural talent, even if it was raw talent at that time.

Keep Low :bassist:

19. ac11367

ac11367 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Flushing, NY
    If the band is all the kid has, he sure not making it a priority to make the band sound good. He's probably too young to realize that he should show more care about the only thing that he has.

20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Dude you just don't understand the terms

BAR - where bands play
    MEASURE - what bartender's do to band member's drinks when they're being jerks