Sad for bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nilmar, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    I was visting a school open house when i saw a bunch of students performing in front of other visitors. They are from the guitar club. The bassist, obviously, is a guitarist. Although i am a beginner who only listen to punk music, i feel that the bassist sucks. Maybe i was wrong, but i feel that really simple basslines (like blink's) can be played well, if you have the feel for bass, or you know when pick the string harder etc etc... That my opinion but i may be wrong. I hope someone advice me on what it take to be a good bassist, even if it's to play blink 182 music.

When i walk into guitar shops, nobody give a damn about bass, it was place in a corner.

Guitarist feel force to pick up a bass because their band lack ones. They always said that it is a super simple instrument to play.

Bassist are always forgotten, insult and look down on. I feel really sad......... I am a bassist wannabe
  2. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    For starters stay away from blink if you want to learn how to be a good bassist, because even they have'nt figured it out yet what that term means.
    M.H. cant play without a pick,and thats right out his own mouth ! :bassist:
  3. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    i personally think pick or no pick, you can master you style of music...
    i use a pick..but am gettin more into using my fingers...
    it just takes patientce...and thanks to bands like rage and sublime..ive got basslines that arent too challenging but help me grow at bass.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Aren't you the one who doesn't even really play bass? As the great barsin' bible said "Let ye who has the barse cast the first stone". Believe me, bass isn't all "oh no, we're outcasts who are looked down upon". We don't need to seek shelter from the outpours of insults and such. Hell, I think a lot of us are respected in our own musician communities. If you feel so bad for us, write us a song. Also, please try to type more "correctly", unless English isn't your first language, in that case.. Carry on.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I really don't get it... honestly this whole simple minded competition thing.

Guitar ...... Good
    Bass ...... Bad

Punk ...... Good
    Jazz ...... Bad

Fingers ....... Good
    Pick ...... Bad

Proper English ...... Good
    Incorrect Grammar.... Bad

Maybe it's that I've mostly *never* watched TV or followed sports... maybe I just was raised in a void of Hippy Value surrounded by like minded Musicians.

As the Bassist, I was *ALWAYS* respected as an integral part of the whole of the Art we wove.

Where the Hell is the Respect of others today?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.