Sad news regarding "The Ox"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Steve Holroyd, Jul 25, 2002.

1. I, for one, was stunned...I always knew John to be a prodigious drinker, but I didn't think he bothered with drugs. Now it turns out it's what killed him.
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The day after he died, a radio journalist named Mike Evans reported that we would hear more about Entwhistle's death. He stated that the coroner and the police wanted to question a couple of visitors from that night. Such a shame.
  3. wow. this makes me angry. i don't fault the Who anymore for continuing the tour without him.
  4. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    very sad. what a stupid way to kill yourself. :(
  5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Bloody Shame! I didn't think he even did that crap anymore.
  6. He went out like a rock star!

^ i know that will piss some of you off...:rolleyes:
  7. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    That don't piss me off it's your opinion!
    The Ox has had heart problems for a few years now and shoulda known better. He was in his late 50's! Don't ya think it was time to grow up!
    Sorry but I had a musician relative who went out the same way in his mid 50's :mad:
  8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I don't want to lay some morality trip on anyone about the use of cocaine or any other drug. But to combine heart disease with cocaine is just asking for trouble. May John RIP

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    A friend of a very very good friend of mine just died recently of a drug OD. I believe it was Saturday night.

He was only 20, and as you can imagine, he had an entire life ahead of him, but let drugs get in the way. Its sad when these things happen, but there is nothing we can do but go on.

It would be wrong to preach and tell others to live a life we see fit, but at least in these peoples passing, many others will see where their lives are leading them.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sorry Mike,

It looks like one of my comments was directed at you. I posted that before I saw your post.

Fact of the matter is cocain (or heroin in my friends case) and a healthy heart dont go together either.

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I just read that the Ox, John Entwhistle, died after using cocaine. The cocaine caused his main arteries to the heart to contract, thus causing his already damaged heart to stop functioning. He was at the time on medication because of his heart.

Sad news that drugs have contributed to another loss in the music community.

Edit: Here´s a link to the story on CNN.COM

Edit 2: Whoopsy... I just noticed that there is a similar thread in Bassists :oops:
  12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    How right your are.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If his coke can allow one to play as he did, I want all I can get.

Unfortunately, his mastery was in spite of it, not "because" of it.

Whatever, it still doesn't diminish his stature in my mind as the greatest rock bassist of all time.
  14. When will people learn. A tragic loss turns out to be a waste. That really just sux.
  15. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Cocaine and Heroin shouldn't be with anyone or anything. -Luke
  16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What a shame. The rock and roll lifestyle is tough on so many people.
  17. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm in disbelief. But, now I'm just pissed off. I guess he got what he had coming, as bad as that sounds. It's too bad he had to rob the world of his talent on his way out.:mad:
  18. Moral of the story? Whether your 13 or 70 (or in john's case, 57) drugs are gonna catch up to you, sooner or later.
  19. Like i said in the OT thread, one thing we need to learn is whether you are 13 or 60, drugs are gonna catch up to you, sooner or later.