1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sad news: World of Strings in Long Beach closes

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by R&B, Mar 24, 2013.

1. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

My instructor, whom I met through a World of Strings referral, tells me that the shop has closed down rather suddenly. It was an icon in Long Beach CA for many years, with some of the best luthiers in the area. Apparently the recession was too severe.

If anybody has contact info for WOS' bass magician Greg, please PM me! I have a jazz AVRI that could use an expert setup.

2. Oh man! Well that certainly sucks!

What'd they do with that *amazing* selection of uprights?

3. DMcNutt

DMcNutt

Dec 7, 2005
    Southern California
    Inventor, McNutt Bass Cradles
    John Peterson, proprietor of World of Stings, for many years has been a great friend to lovers of the double bass. He has always been generous in sharing his knowledge, giving equal attention to the novice as well as the expert. He would carefully teach his customers simple things, such as the qualities of different rosins, as well as the finer points points of his craft.

I wish him well.

GrooverMcTube likes this.
  4. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    I'm going to try to get up there today to see what's going on. Last time I visited was July 2012. Jon put on some strings, tweaked stuff a little, we talked a bit about a new set-up, etc.

When I'm there I usually get some coffee, wander around the store a little and just take it all in. Stock looked like it was getting low. That section of the store where he keeps the violins, cellos, bows etc. used to have some cubbies for World of Strings T-shirts and other logo stuff. The cubbies were nearly bare. I wondered..........

I'll post again if I learn anything new or not already posted.

5. R&B

Thanks Roger. I drove by this morning, looks the same, didn't notice any signs. Tried phoning yesterday and it just rang, no message.

If anyone can help find Greg, that would be great.

6. Roger Mouton

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    I just heard from someone that would know about Jon. He said: "I think after a while he will be back, but just needs to take a nice break for a while". Encouraging news.

7. TMiyagawa

TMiyagawa

Mar 28, 2013
    Just awful. I ran down to the shop at the peak of rush hour today....I had a french bow getting re-haired.....I had no idea this was going down. A volunteer was calling me today to pick my bow up or else it would be packed up and I'd get a call sometime later in the indefinite future.....I got there just in time before Jon left.

He's busy cleaning out the place...I wanted to post here to say that he definitely wants to let his clients know that he is going to continue working out of his house to fix basses, etc...PM me if you need to get a hold of him. Jon is a tough dude and he ain't goin' nowhere. He ain't gonna have the big business around him anymore, but he's gonna keep doin' what he's been doing for decades: Fix our **** when it needs fixin'!

I'm going to talk to him some more after the dust settles (there is a LOT of dust right now) and see if he wants me to post something on this blog I started for this purpose: http://jonpeterson-longbeachluthier.blogspot.com

Jon's not exactly hip to "the series of tubes and the internets," any more than he was to "computerizing" his business (e.g., little yellow cardboard receipt and carbon paper handwritten receipt system, and things that "get lost" when crooked staff people sneak on board) so I'll have to talk this through with him a bit...but he made it very clear that the best way I could help him was to get the word out, including his personal phone number....hope to do the same for the other skilled craftsmen who worked on guitars, etc. Got to give something back for all the good work he's done for us!

8. pauldebass

pauldebass

May 8, 2006
    That place was there for 50 years. this weds (4/3/13) went down there while they were cleaning out the rest of the shop. Jon was there. It was sad to see. There is a Facebook page and you can find some stuff there. Re Greg, you might post something there, he might respond. I hope Jon the best as well as his staff. Jon said his inventory went to Bellflower Music and on May 5th they'll have a blow out sale. For those in So Cal I'm sure we all know of Lemurs. Also worth checking out is Blast Cult in Orange. Jason is selling some strings. I'm checking out the hybrid (steel E, A, gut D,G). I will gig with them next week. www.blastcult.com

9. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    Chris is now doing repairs down the street. Only 200 yards from my house!

10. R&B

Good news. Now to find Greg! Bass wizard extraordinaire.

11. RICEROCKET

RICEROCKET

Feb 22, 2009
    Los Angeles
    man... i wanted to bring over a music amn sting ray 5 for a full face lift with his advise....new maple neck & electronics....now i'm "BEFUTTLED".......MMMMMMMM!!!!!....NEVER THOUGHT OF ANY OTHER PLACE......WHAT NEXT?:bassist: RICKSJAMNESIA.COM

12. Vee Dubb

Vee Dubb

Aug 30, 2009
    Any word on where Greg is? I sure could use his services for my Warwick right now.

13. Vee Dubb

Vee Dubb

Aug 30, 2009
    Any suggestions on where to go locally? I'd appreciate it.

14. Roger Mouton

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    OK, so this looks like a new post about World of Strings. Perhaps coincidence but Golihur's Luthier page (I think it's the Luthier page) has a new listing for World of Strings with the old Long Beach phone number. I'll call and report what I find. Jon was at Malibu String Repair the last time I looked him up.

15. Roger Mouton

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    OK, I called (before 10 AM PST) and no answer but at least the phone rang. As I recall Jon usually didn't open until 10 AM anyway. I'll wait awhile and call again. The guy answering Golihur's phone, I think Chris, says the new listing was likely requested within the last 60 days. Perhaps local Don Kasper knows?

16. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I don't think that the "NEW" tag on our luthier's directory is accurate; I'm checking to see if perhaps the old listing never got cleared out and that new tag is an error. I can't find a recent email from anyone requesting the addition. May be old information, I'm afraid. If you get it figured out, please let me know so that I can make the appropriate changes.

17. Roger Mouton

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    Hey Mark, thanks. I tried the number again and it just rang, no answer. My guess is that the phone company assigned it to a new customer, otherwise I would expect some sort of recorded message. I looked up Malibu String Instrument Repair and no website came up as in previous searches. The search somehow linked to Acoustic Image, to which the old Malibu String Instrument Repair webpage was attached. If the information is correct or current it says Jon is there and gives his current telephone number. It's on the grounds of a commercial/residential nursery just up the highway from Pepperdine University and almost across the street from Jane Seymour's house. It appears that World of Strings has NOT resurrected itself. Indeed if I learn otherwise I'll let you know.