1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sad Reminiscing on NAD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by akrachanko, Oct 8, 2018.

1. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    I can't help but from time to time, think back to equipment I was presented with when I started playing the bass, and some of the equipment I've come across that I never understood the value of until I joined Talkbass and started learning.

So now, for story time, and I'll try to keep it short, and we'll get to NAD. When I was in 11th grade, I'd been playing the bass for about 5 or 6 years, and I found an old stash of equipment in one of our band-rooms at school. While digging, I found the usual junk you'd expect to find, like a plastic upright bass, which I didn't even know was a thing. Then I found something I am just now starting to understand. I found in the back, up against a wall, 2 bass speaker cabinets with wheel dollies. Thinking they looked kind of cool, I pulled them out. They both said Ampeg on the front, and I'd heard of Ampeg before, so that was cool. That's when I noticed the latches on the top sides of the cabinet. I unlatched them and lifted the panel to find there was an amplifier that literally flipped out of the cabinet! At the time, I had no idea I had found 2 Ampeg B15-N Amps from the early 70s. I am only guessing at this being the exact B15 model, but this is the closest picture to the way it looked: https://img.audiofanzine.com/images/u/product/normal/ampeg-b15n-portaflex-80825.jpg

Anyways, my buddy and I tried to see if either worked, and we didn't get anything. It was a bit upsetting, then I thought to check the fuse. There wasn't a fuse in it, so I got excited. We got a fuse, and that got power to the amp, but we kept getting whining squealing sounds. We ended up taking all the tubes from the other amp, which didn't work at all, and put them into the working B15. Well what do ya know, we now had a working B15, and I'd never heard anything like it in my life. The sound was so full and harmonically pleasing, and if you hiked the volume up, you got some grind. It was the coolest thing. This is where my unconsciousness love of Ampeg came from. I never owned an Ampeg, but I always knew the sound when someone used one, and I guess that's stuck with me.

Now the sad part of the story. I used that B15 everyday for about a month, then one day, it wasn't in the band room, but instead there was an SWR combo in it's place. I talked to our band director. Turns out, he assigned some student to clean the heaps of old stuff from various corners of the band room, and in the process, these students THREW AWAY my Frankenstein B15, and the donor B15, thinking it was old and broken equipment. I was a bit upset and went to see if it was still in the dumpster (because the proper way to dispose of an amplifier is apparently to just hurl it into a dumpster). It was not. Like I said I was a bit upset because I liked the amp, but the SWR was good too. It's not until the past year or two, I remembered and realized the value of those amps, and wish I had done so much more to protect it from getting trashed. I can only hope some lucky dumpster diver somewhere found it, and it ended up in a good home.

It was weighing on my mind recently, which is why I got a PF-50T and PF-115HE cab that I'm expecting in the mail today! I decided that it'll most likely be as close as I'm ever going to get to that B15 ever again (without dropping absolute bank on the Heritage). Anyway, sorry for being long winded, but I felt compelled to share my story of coming to love Ampeg amps. Have a great day everyone! I know I will!

Tl;dr - Found two 70s Ampeg B15-N in high school. Slaved to get one working and it got thrown away by someone that thought it was garbage. Just bought a PF-50t and PF-115HE to try to fill the ever present void. :laugh:

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi akrachanko :)

Okay, you tried! :D

Funny-Cool-story-bro-Funny-Pictures-MEME-Jokes.jpg

Now post some pigs! (or it didn't happen!) :laugh:

pigsinspace.gif

Wise(b)ass

meatwad likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh dang! What a heartbreaking story. Well the good news is that 70's B-15's aren't as much as 60's so it's not as impossible to get another one. And the PF rig you're getting is also very badass.

4. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    Thanks Wise and Jimmy. It's a bit more comforting to know they weren't the rarest amps in the world. It would kick butt to have them still, but let me say, I am extremely impressed with the performance of the PF-50t. The thing can get that Ampeg sound I was looking for, and move more than enough air for my needs.

JimmyM likes this.