Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SAD SAD DAY FOR ME AND MY SPECTOR

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mybluespector, Mar 30, 2004.

1. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    :bawl: Well here is the story! I own a peacock blue usa bolt on 5 string! This bass is my baby! Well i me and my band had a string of gigs up north around the chicago area. The frett job on this bass always needed a little work but after bieng up there in that dry cold air the wood shrunk up just enough to allow these horrible sharp frett point to pop out! When i knew i had a problem was one night during a gig we were doing one of r only cover tunes it was dave mathews 41. If anyone has ever learned this song correctly they will relize how much sliding goes one! It felt like i was sliding my hand up and down a saw! But as most bass player r the show MUST go on! Also most of the songs we do r played on a 5 and my other bass waas a warwick 4. So after i got back home i called spector and they said take it to a local authorized dealer to get it worked on. One store was a small hole in the wall and they never seen a high end spector. And what they had on the walls were just crappy old starter basses. So i decided then i wasnt letting those rednecks touch my bass. Then the other store just came out and told me that they didnt want to try it because it was too nice of a bass! So my only option is to send her packing for new york to be touched up by the pros at spector! This is the better plan i relize but man its gonna suck so bad not having her~ :bawl: anyone else had this problem with a bass?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My Godin suffered from this over the winter. The tech at the local super guitar store had it done up in an afternoon. It wasn't really a big deal. It always pays to have a second bass just in case you have to have work done on your main player. I don't know what your situation is financially but I would suggest getting a second bass, even if its a beater, just so you are covered.

Dan

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    as fellow Spectorite, I feel your pain. :bawl:
    My Czech 5 has held up beautifully even with colorado's cold and dry winters.

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've never had this problem with any of my Spectors, but I've read that a lot of Alembics (with ebony boards) have had this problem.

5. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    at spector today and he said that when they started the line back up of the usa series they had this problem because of how they put the fretts in or somthing! Said now they do some kind of cut and pulled in or somthing?? LOL I cant explaine it. He said that all the newer basses they make dont have the problem. But he said it was a very common thing to happen! I have 3 basses i take on the road with me! My warwick didnt have this problem but i dont think that wenge neck and bell brass fretts will ever move! And my other bass is a frettless fender so that wasnt a issue! I Agree with christle i do need another 5 string! Always need a new bass! LOL I am waiting to get a older warwick dolphin pro. I would like one from the early 90s but kinda hard to find! It cant be a new spector cause the new spector i will get will have to be frettless!LOL

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Play on, man, play on :D Good luck with finding that Warwick. They are really hard to come by.

7. I had a small problem like that with my FBB custom. The new england winters are very cold and dry (especially in a dorm room!!) and there was a little shrinkage on the fret board. My temporary solution was to place a cup of water on the radiator to act as a humidifier and then clean and condition my fretboard with this stuff called Lizard Spit, you can get it at Bass Central. Just a couple drops of that stuff and i moisturised the board up nicely and with the water on the radiator the board i guess started to expand again.

On a side note, that Lizard Spit oil make the grain on your fret board really pop out!! Especially maple boards!

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Run a humidifer in the room where you store your basses when it is cold. However, if this happens when your travelling like mybluespector, there's not much you can do...

reason #56 to always have a backup bass!!!

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My Conklin also suffered over the winter... I'm debating whether to let someone local fix it, or mail it back to the Conklin shop... Not sure I trust the "techs" in my area... Think I'll wait for my new bass to arrive before I do anything..

10. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    I feel your pain! :bawl: :(