Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sad Sad day...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tecx, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well for any Canadians you know what I am talking about, and for anyone else you know what I mean...

Ok insurence rates are SKYROCKITING all over Canada, in the east it is wat worse... You may remember me griping about some sienor citizen smashing into me righht before x-mas... Well not my insurence has gone WAY up, and I have to sell my car... And I have to move out of the countrym abd into the city...

Well the new apartment is quite small, and has a zero noise warning... My rig barley fits, and its imposable to get to gigs... Thus - the dream is over... :bawl:

I have to sell my rig... The reason is I was hoping I could get a consensis of how much I can get for it, because now I need to buy a new rig - a smaller rig (Ampeg porta bass / aggy gs112)...

Here is the setup:

Gemini PL100 Power Conditoner
    Tech 21 RBI
    DBX 163x Compresor/Limmiter
    2 space rack shelve
    SoundTech PL200 Power amp (200w bridged @ 8ohms)
    SKB 6 space roto rack

All I am asking is how much you guys think I could get for it, I guess I just want tto find out how much you guys would pay - then I will take a average price and put it up on e-bay... I dunno... I am really at a loss, but what can you do...
    Also if you have any better idea's to help, shoot...

Thanks in advannce

Alex

2. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I cant be much help with the prices, but im sorry to hear man, that really sucks. keep playing though, dont let the granny get the better of you :)

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Tecx, I know things are tough and it probably seems like the end of the world. But if you sell all you gear and stop playing, you will regret it in time.

Couldn't you just store it somewhere for now and have it ready for when your luck changes (which it will).

5. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thanks guys... I am not going to stop playing... Oh god no, bass is my life... No need to worry about that (sorry if I didn't make that clear...) I just need to downsize... I am going for a mini modular rig, but that is also a problem... I am lost... I need to sell my gear before I can get the new gear.... And then I am not sure what I will be able to get...
    I would like to get an aggy gs112, but when it comes to heads I know nothing... I have always been a pre - power guy... I need somthing that I can transport easy, and that will fit in my new micro apartment....

Alex

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    ebay it and get the most you can for it.

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Screw it!!!!!! sell the car. LIVE THE DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!

8. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    He already said he was selling his car. He's just downsizing.

As for the prices, I'd say look on the internet for ppl selling the same stuff, or stuff with similar specs. You should be able to get a decent amount for all that stuff. Good luck researching and finding new gear!

9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    As long as he's living his dream.

10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well the car payed for the damadge deposit and first months rent for the new place...

Now, whats a better Idea do you think:

Sell it all together as a pakadge
    or sell everything indepedantly?..

Alex

11. sell all independently youll probly get more money that way but it will most likely be over a longer amount of time.

12. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    you'll defintealy get more money if you sell separately, and ebaying it would be the best way to get the most money back, well worth the trouble for listing and shipping it all out individually

13. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Alex - Sorry to hear about it man, that's got to be the worst thing I've heard in awhile. Canada sucks sometimes - esp. for insurance. :(

I would get a Mesa Walkabout, were I you. Small yet pretty powerful.

14. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thanks man... Its nice to hear from some other canucks, I still love Canada with all my heart... But damn, its getting expensive... Gas was $0.85 the other day, and now I have to buy a stupid bus pass for 60 bucks each month.... Yarrg... But about the mesa, is it fan cooled??? I rather have no fans, becaus ein the studio I like to mic my cab when I use any form of distortion... And fan signal bleed sucks!...

Alex

15. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Yah, gas sucks (both the fuel kind, and the gear kind) - good thing I don't have a car, or I couldn't afford lessons. :)

The walkabout does have a fan, though I'm not sure if it would bleed into the mic. Can someone comment on this?

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm sorry for your misfortune...things CAN always be worse so please be thankful for the good things...

I don't understand the downsizing thing really...a 6 space rack isn't that big and your profile shows that you have a 1x15 cabinet. Stacked up, they don't take up that much floorspace, not much more than the rig that you propose.

Selling it all on ebay, would you even have enough to cover the proposed downsized rig? Especially after paying eBay fees, etc.

How would a new, smaller rig be affected by the noise laws? If you just need a headphone jack, we can help you do that with your existing rig...

What piece of the puzzle am I missing?

17. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Ah, good point.

I would recommend a good pair of headphones, like Beyerdynamics DT777, or others (there are many options, I have a pair of Audio Technica W1000).

Look at headfi.org.

18. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well I guess I got ahead of myself, I was in quite a panic... Its not the noise issue that is that much of a worry (allthough I wish my setup had a headphone out jack), its space and portability... Without a car it is going to suck to get my gear around: pedalboard, bass, rack, cab... So I was thinking about getting a smaller rig to conserve space at the new place, and to be able to get around.... But the more I think about how I love the sound I get from my rig, the more I don't want to kybosh it... So here is what I am thinking....

Get a smaller 4 space rack bag (my curent rack is 2x deeper than what I need), one with a shoulder strap...
    And get a Agular gs112 (about half as heavy as my 15"), and much smaller...

So on that note, does anyone know where to get a decent rack bag with a shoulder strap... It has to be 12" deep...

Alex

19. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Just a thought: how about one of the larger rolling suitcases? I used one to get computer equipment around London and it worked out ok. Carrying a 50+ pd suitcase down the stairs in the tube stations wasn't fun, but doable.

20. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ok this is posted on both post dealing with my problem...

This is what I am doing:

Getting rid of the big 6 space SKB, and putting everything into a 4 space (mabey 5 so I can have a vent for the poweramp) rack bag. I need to get one with a strap.

Getting hid of my hugungus 15" and going with an aggy gs12... Super compact, and I can get onother one down the road...

I am thinking about replacing my Sound Tech PL200, with the new model - stx200... Same specs but at 4ohms bridged it can get 1000w, where as mine can not handle 4 ohms... So at home I can use 1 aggy at 200 watts, and a larger gig I can use 2 12"s at 1000 watts...

So anyone need a 6 space mint SKB rotorack?.. or a trade for a rack bag?..

Alex

ps. thank you all so very much for all your help, I really apriciate it...

pss. I am thinking about getting a luggage dolly for the pedalboard and cab...