Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sad, sad Traynor story

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Nov 20, 2004.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well, it is with great regret that I write this post. Thursday I happened upon a Traynor YBA200 all tube bass amp in a small music shop. After deciding to make the purchase I was more than pleased. I played in in the store and everything seemed fine, short of a small crackle that I assumed was a dirty pot on the bass or a not so good input jack. The amp sounded amazing. I got it home and ran it through my 70s SVT 810 cab, which was also quite amazing. Then I heard a slight crackle again. I was a little worried but it went away. The head sounded great and performed well Thursday night in rehearsal. All was well until I got into the studio last night and, bragging about my new head, the producer decided to give it a shot. While he was setting up guitar sounds, I was noodling around. I started to hear the crackle in my headphones. Of course, I'm thinking "OH ****" because it doesn't sound good at all. I quickly call the producer over and when he goes into the isolation room where my amp is, he informs me that something is on fire. He turns the amp off and I go to check it out and there is an awful burning smell. Now I don't a lot about tube amps, but it is no unreasonable to think a brand new amp, tube or solid state is going to blow up the day after you buy it. I don't know if this is an isolated problem or a typical occurance, but it is disappointing and even a little angering, nonetheless.

I just wanted to share this sad story, because even though my backup recording amp was a 70s Ampeg Portaflex, which sounds amazing, I was still pretty pissed about the Traynor. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. The shop I bought it in is sort of shady and I'm quite sure they don't have the capabilities to repair in-house, so I'm quite sure I'll either end up shipping it back to Traynor/Yorkville for repair, unless I get nasty enough and hopefull they'll just send me a new unit. Anyway, thanks for listening and feeling my pain.
    :bawl: :help: :confused:
    Dirk

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yeah..I say just get pissed enough, and make the Music shop send it back, or replace it with a new unit

3. If you call yorkville and tell them what happened, they will be mortified. I sent in a service report about a little bit of scratching when adjusting my xs400, and they actually called my house a couple hours later and told me how I can fix that. Getting a new head shouldn't be a problem.

4. From what I hear Yorkville has GREAT customer service. Give them a call or send them an e-mail

5. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Yeah dude. Get a hold of the people at Yorkville. They're one of those companies that go above and beyond what's required as far as customer service is concerned. They've even helped me out with some of their discontinued products.

Though, I suspect you got a lemon. It happens. :meh:

6. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I suspect they'll take very good care fo you. I little story, somewhat off topic, but an example of how they handle the "even if you break it" part of their warranty:

I am a Yorkville dealer, and have a sound company. I had gotten four of their NX20 cabs to use as tiny mains/monitors. Took them into a country club with one of my clients. Cabs did a good job, etc etc. On the load out, one of the cabs fell off a Bag End sub, which had been sitting on a trunk that is about 36" tall. Said cab hit the concrete loading dock, and shattered. These are plastic boxes, fwiw. The whole cab didn't shatter, but a good part of the corner that hit the dock did. Anywho, after a call to YS, I got a box the middle of the next week. I was sort of expecting an empty cab, for me to switch drivers and whatnot into. Nope, brand new NX20. They did invoice me for the unit, but credited my account as soon as they got the dead one. GREAT company. I use their PA equipment in my company, as well as the YCV80 GTR amps as backline. Recently got the 800W bass head for myself/backline rental, very nice stuff.

Let me know if I can be of any help in this situation, should your store give you any trouble.

Lee

7. sitback

sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I think that Yorkville will not only take care of this matter quickly but will dig in to find what and why it happened. I would call their service department in Toronto and find out what your options are, it sounds like your don’t think highly of the store you bought the amp from. The Guy that I love to deal with at Yorkville goes by the name of Mike Holman (905-837-8481). I generally ask him any thing to do with product specs and general info, I’m sure he can help you out, real nice guy. You wont have any problems at all. :)

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Dirk, I'm going to take a guess and say you probably bought this from Consignment Music on Park Avenue? They're known for being great guys. Take it up there and see what they can do for you. I'm more than sure they'd be willing to help you out.

BTW, when is Augustine playing next?

9. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure Monday I'll get a call, sense I left a message for customer service at Yorkville. I took to a local tech today to have it looked over and he said everything looked fine, and although he couldn't say (at least for free) what happened, he did say nothing was damaged. I'm going to run it a bit and see what I can come up with. I hope it was a fluke, but suspect it's just a lemon, but I'm comforted that Yorkville has such reputable customer service.

Augustine's next show is Friday, December 3rd on the 93Xmas bill at the New Daisy Theatre.

10. I just pulled the knobs back a bit, as they can sometimes contact the metal plate behind it, which is obviously conductive, so it scratches a bit.