Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sad Tacoma Thunderchief

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eldoctorbass, Dec 10, 2003.

1. eldoctorbass

eldoctorbass Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Northampton, Mass
    I've had my Thunderbird 4 for a few years and really love the bass. I noticed over the weekend a big crack had formed, from the base to the bridge. I'm assuming it's weather-related. Anyone else have the problem, and have you had any luck repairing it?

Also, I pulled off the pickguard and am wondering what people suggest for removing the sticky residue left on the body of the bass.

Thanks!

2. jdub2

jdub2

Jul 30, 2003
    I've used naphtha to remove the sticky residue from my acoustic guitars when I pull the pickguard.

You should bring your bass in ASAP to a good luthier/repairman. They can probably fix it, using a cleat or something. It could be humidity related. In the winter, heat reduces the humidity which can lead to cracks. You might want to get a sound-hole humidifier or a case humidifier (or a room humidifier). Don't know how the sound-hole humidifier would work with the weird sound-hole on the tacoma. Good luck.

Jeff