1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sad tail of thievery and emtional lows

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Wesley R, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Today at my dads viewing (funeral tommorrow) I found out that my brother took my fathers One Armed Harp guitar built in the late 1800's and his Gibson (1908).
    The agreement was nothing was to leave the house until total agreement was reached on everything. The will is pretty explicit and they were not willed to him. The kicker is my mother is still alive and living in the house and the guiatrs were to be sold to help support her.
    Currently I plan on waiting until Friday to deal with it, I thinkthe funeral is the first priority and some level of class should be observed. My wife wants me to call him early Thursday morning and get it addressed. I am dissapointed in him, my dad would be in tears.

Wesley R.

2. That is incredibly tacky. Good on you for getting through the funeral first- your father apparently raised one of you right.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    how horrible, man :(

4. Man that sucks, greed is a horrible thing and even your own family can surprise you.

Similar thing happened when my grandmother on my mothers side passed a few years ago. One of her 9 children swooped in the day before the funeral where the
    will was to be announced and took pretty much everything valuable. Including a complete antique waterfall bedroom set from the 30s, 4 glass hutches filled with
    antique porcelain dolls, and her antique claw foot love seat and matching chair.

5. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dad.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    These stories are just sickening. A big +1 to bassteban's post.

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    My grandma's family also fought on money when my great grandmother died. Nasty to say the least. My grandma and grandpa don't even want to go to the east coast anymore because of it.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm with you. Stand tall honor your father. Get through the funeral and play hardball afterwards. Sorry for your loss bro. :(

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm a fan of the estate tax.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Similar story happened when my grandmother passed a few years ago. My aunt quickly swooped in and started going through her things, taking this and that, whatever she wanted really, let alone the fact that my grandfather was still living in the house. He no longer has any contact with her over it. He recently went and drafted a new will, leaving everything he owns to my father and $1 to my aunt so that she cannot contest.

11. What he said.