1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Sad to let her go: Beautiful and rare 4-string FBass BN4

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Feb 21, 2017.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Price:
    Strings:
    Well, it is with a heavy heart that I must list some basses for sale. I recently bought an engagement ring and the lady and I are planning a wedding in September (note: I haven't officially asked her yet and she doesn't know I have the ring so if you're local and know my girlfriend or are FB friends with me, please keep your electronic lips sealed. Thanks! :smug:) Even though we're doing everything as inexpensively as possible, I need to put money toward other things right now.

First up is my FBass BN4. But I also have my G&L L2000 listed for sale. One of them needs to go. Specifically whichever sells first. I only have one spare bass box after all. :smug:

The FBass BN4 is one of the finest instruments I've ever owned, and I have probably owned over 100 (look at my previously owned gear list in my profile - it's disgusting...ly awesome :roflmao:)

If you're on Talkbass, you already know FBass. And you know that most of the ones that come up for sale are 5-strings. So this is a rare chance to snap up a 4-string from one of Canada's finest. The BN4 model is basically a modern take on a 70s Jazz, and it is the bass to rule all basses tonally. I don't know what they do with these pickups, but they sound AMAZING. And the preamp is no slouch either. Six knobs but they're simple to use. There's volume, volume, tone (yes it works in active and passive which I love), bass, mid, and treble. Boost only on the 3 EQ knobs, no center detents. The bass, mid, and treble knobs completely turned "off" makes the bass sound just like in passive mode, as it should in my opinion. Second volume has a pull-up coil tap or humbucking switch of some sort. I can't remember which mode is which but it has both single coil and humbucking mode.

Did I mention the finish is antique brownburst over grain-enhanced ash? Yeah, it looks as good as those adjectives sound.

I am getting sad already thinking about life after selling this bass.

The neck is perfect for someone like me... I love Jazz bass tone but dislike thin necks. This one is 1.625" at the nut and extremely comfortable. The fretwork is flawless and it plays like butter. And she cuts through a mix like a hot knife through butter. Let's see how many butter similes I can incorporate into this post. OK... two.

This bass is in excellent shape but DOES have scratches on the back as well as the pickup covers. She's definitely been used but not abused. Remember these are like $3-4k new. I did the not-so-scientific "step on the scale with the bass and without and subtract" test and discovered what I already knew: that *I* need to lose weight. :smug: But also the FBass came in at 8.6 lbs and that is about as close to accurate as I can get.

Anyway, I paid $1900 and am asking $1900 + actual shipping to recoup my costs. Comes in the original FBass case. I will ship in the U.S. and Canada. PM me for a rough shipping quote.

Absolutely no trades...because sadly I cannot pay off other debt with other gear. :rollno:

A previous owner's BETTER pics are here:

SOLD - F Bass BN4 – Brand New, Price Drop $2395!

My pics are here:

20170125_213254. 20170125_213304. 20170125_213423. 20170125_213320.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    bdgotoh and tbirdsp like this.
  2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Congratulations - and condolences ;)

zortation and TimBosby like this.
  3. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    And it begins.... great looking bass!

TimBosby likes this.
  4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
  5. WR Jacobs

WR Jacobs Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2015
    What year/pups...any mods?

6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I am afraid I don't know the answers to your questions other than that I do not believe there are any mods. The pickups are single coils of some kind but can be combined with a humbucking option.

I have 3 offers on the table on this bass at the moment so it's almost sold.

7. funky_tone

funky_tone Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    That one is mine ;)