1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

saddle adjustment vs pup post spacing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Karl Kaminski, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    Hi
    How critical is it for the strings to be centered between the pup-posts?
    My Fender lines up nice over the E–A but the D–G are progressively off center. (Everything is aligned/setup properly)

BTW, I've experimented with different bridges...

Original–off centered, but saddles can be tilted to compensate D and G
    Gotoh201–off centered, no tilt ability
    BAII–off centered but they can be filed to suit needs

I guess, I find it curious that the string space is standardized but the pup-posts are off. :confused:

2. Looks like everything is off center - what kind of bass? Is it possible the bridge is mounted off center? I have used Gotoh, Baddass and stock, with a lot of different pickups, and have never noticed this problem.

Also, why can't you tilt the Gotoh? I have 201s and they have two saddle screws so they can be tilted.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    How critical is it for the strings to be centered between the pup-posts?

As long as the width of the 2 outside pole/magnets is wider than the width of the 2 outside strings then everything should work fine.

I sometimes use 8 pole jazz pickups on a 5 string bass and they work just as good as 5 or 10 pole pickups.

The lining up of the string perfectly is more of a visual thing than a sound thing.