1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

saddle adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by twindad424, May 13, 2011.

1. twindad424

twindad424

May 13, 2011
    is there an exact height measurement for the saddles to sit at?? i have an ltd 5-string that i got second hand and i am trying to find get the saddle situated for the best sounds but am having trouble finding the right heights. any ideas??

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    No there isnt. Adjust bridge saddle height to personal pref after establishing that neck relief is right. I prefer allmost dead straight neck, just slightest hint of bow and low action. As a result of pref low action my bridge saddles are lower then those who prefer med to high action. Factory specs are generally for medium action.

I prefer to adjust each bridge saddle individually for low action with no fretting out. Then any minor tweak for best string to string postion.

While action adjustment does have an affect on tone, your gonna have more success by adjusting the pups individually for best sound after setup for best action. Your bass probably doesnt have individually adjustable pole peices so you your limited to overall pup height adjustment. Do each pup indivividually for best sound to you. This may involve slight slant so one side is higher then the other relative to E string and G string. After doing that I run both pups on full and make minor adjustment to either the neck or bridge pup height for best cruising voice tweak (both pups on full). Its sometimes at this point that I will ussually slightly lower either the bridge or neck pup for little bit better sound between the pups for both on full. Then I do main sound tweaks for voice variations by rolling blend a little bit toward bridge and alternately little toward neck pup. I'm not a fan of solod pups ussually.