1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Saddle height question?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jimstyx, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    image.jpg So my e is ridiculously high action wise so I started tinkering something I have never done on my own as I just started bass early august.
    While using my Allen wrench I got the height roughly where I wanted it for all my strings, I returned the Allen wrenches to my father in law ( I Didn't have the correct size )and I came home today today and noticed on second glance some of the saddles are uneven
    Like for each string te two saddles holding it might not be level. Is this ok?

2. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I also noticed the screw that holds the (for a lack of a better term) depth from front of saddle to back of saddle came from the factory slightly bent

3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Uneven saddles won't cause a problem. Some people even set them up in a way to form an arch shape (like the fretboard) on purpose.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    You could do that but it potentially makes the saddle susceptible to rocking side to side, mostly in the direction of the lower screw. I'd set the saddle to be parallel to the bridge plate.

5. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    True enough. The likelihood depends on how heavy your touch is... works fine for some, not so much for others.

6. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    Thanks all ill even those suckers out

Zooberwerx likes this.
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Good idea...you really want to have the screws on a square footing (...or as close as possible) with the base plate.

Riis

8. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    If you look at my pic the screw to the far right is slightly curved for some reason

9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Called an intonation screw, because you intonate with it. Don't bet on that screw being bent, those screws have springs around them and the spring could be bent rather than the screw. Having the springs bend back and forth as they are compressed is nothing to concern your self with.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQO9PzZbAf2gBfci2qC21lRMYzuZJqBuyaMnQujKAs_tNcjRN20.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  10. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I wish I could set my action up that low my strings hit my p'ups if I do and I have no idea what to do

11. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    LOWER the pickups. Get your action the way you want it then worry about pickup height, not the other way around.