1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Saddle Height Screws - constantly loosening?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Smaz, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Smaz

Smaz

Jul 17, 2008
    England, UK
    I have a Fender Jazz, Mexican I bought new just over a year ago. The G string outer saddle height screw kept coming loose, then one day I noticed it had fallen out. I got some replacement screws, official ones I think? from all parts, and put a new one in, reset the heights. It now seems that all screws are constantly loosening, making the strings slowly lower & giving me a terrible sound on anything over the 5th fret. It can take anything from a few hours to a few days to seem to make a difference. Is this common, any known cause or any advice? I loosen the strings before adjusting the screws normally if that makes any difference.

First post, I did a quick search of the forums & didn't see anything useful, forgive me if this has been discussed/another thread will help :)

Cheers ;)

2. Blue Threading Goop. Can't remember the manufacturer. Basically a rubber based thread coating that keep the screws from slipping.

3. or clear nail varnish... It's what I use to stop the little screws in my glasses from loosening off and falling out

apply it over the screw/saddle interface after setting the height... try not to get it in the threads of the hole, ie, don't adjust after having applied it. and keep it out of the hex head of the screw.

4. Widdershins

Widdershins

Aug 28, 2007
    Loctite Blue Removable No.242.

Eraser shavings or "fuzz" in the threads work in a pinch until you work out a better solution.

Be careful with getting nail varnish on your finish.

Rtemplet55 likes this.
  5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Yeah, that's what you want. Any auto parts stores catering to the motorhead crowd have it.

You could also just ditch the crappy fender bridge and use a Gotoh..:bag:

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    take the allen screw out, put thin coating of maple syrup on the threads with a q tip. reinsert. the next day, its as good as loctite but non toxic and comes off with water ,lol. johnnya

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    This is why I put badass bridges on all of my Fenders.not only would the height screws work themselves out, but the intonation screw would come out eventually too. I lost a whole saddle in the middle of a gig.

Maple syrup? lol, never would have thought of that. You're a regular MacGuyver Johnny!

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. And they are tasty on pancakes..

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. Smaz

Smaz

Jul 17, 2008
    England, UK
    Thanks for the replys :) As much as I love my bass, I don't think Maple Syrup is worthy for such a thing :p

The Loctite goop sounds like the option for now, as I live next door to a garage that should have some. Do I slap some on the screw, then put it in? Also, I assume I'll still be able to adjust it easily etc., it won't stick?

A new bridge is tempting, but can't afford that for a little while yet.... :bawl:

10. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Yeah, just put a little on the thread and then adjust to your liking. It's not a permanent fix, but it IS cheaper than replacing the whole bridge.

11. Smaz

Smaz

Jul 17, 2008
    England, UK
    Bump :)

Paydays around the corner, so I'm thinking about getting a new bridge (this one is getting on my nerves now...).

I'll go with a Bad Ass II if I can get my hands on one & get it set up (filed down etc), but if I can't what should I look for? I know nothing about bridges etc. to know what to search for here for advice & online... :)

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with the bridge. Use one drop of blue loctite (NOT red) or clear nail polish.

13. pj-mike

pj-mike

Nov 22, 2005
    Bridgewater, MA
    If you're going out to buy Loctite or a similar product, try to find one for small screws. The loctite for small screws is 222, it's not as strong as the blue 242. I've also used nail polish with good results if you have that around.

14. Fonkamex

Fonkamex

Oct 23, 2018
    Genius!! That works perfectly on my Fender JB Special bridge. Thanks!

15. Just don't play any outdoor gigs, or you'll be attacked by wasps.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021