1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Saddle help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fenderkong13, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Fenderkong13

Fenderkong13

Jan 17, 2014
    So, I've faced this problem a few times now and haven't found an answer.
    The saddle of my E string on my Jazz bass continues to lower itself. it seems the legs itself lower. While all my other strings remain at their height. I've raised the string up myself, I usually down tune often from standard. Would that be the cause? or is the screws and hardware for my E string on the bridge messed up?

2. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Put a dab of locktite or nail polish on the threads of the adjustment screws. They can vibrate themselves loose.

bassrich likes this.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Don't get locktite in the screw sockets though! Yes, Vibration causes it. The same thing that causes any mechanical device to start letting go as time moves on.

4. Have you noticed it angling at all? Vibration, as mentioned, is most likely, but sometimes the angle of the saddle height screws slips, on low end hardware (seen in on some of my students' basses). Worth a look.

5. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Also don't use red (high strength) Loctite.

Lower string tension and/or a low break angle over the saddle can reduce the tension on the adjustment screw
    to the point where it can vibrate loose. So that problem is not unusual.

Nail polish is good for applying to the saddle right where the adjustment scew exits the saddle, after the saddle
    has been adjusted. If you have to readjust, the lacquer will break loose and then will have to be reapplied.

Loctite use to make a fixative for adustment screws, 222 purple. I think it has a new number and is now green.
    Make sure it is not the green sleeve retainer; that stuff is more or less permanent.

Loctite is normally appied to the screw threads and then the parts are assembled. Another option is to apply
    the threadlocker to about 1/2 of the threads and let it cure. Then assemble.

-

6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    The problem with Loctite or nail polish is it must be allowed to cure/dry before it can be used. Unfortunately if your adjustment screws won't stay where they belong, they are your only viable options short of replacing your bridge.

7. Fenderkong13

Fenderkong13

Jan 17, 2014
    Putting up a few pictures, maybe some visual might help the judgement

Attached Files:

8. Fenderkong13

Fenderkong13

Jan 17, 2014
    Another

Attached Files:

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Yeppers, blue Loctite or nail polish is what you need. I prefer blue Loctite for no other reason than it's easier to apply than nail polish.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If in doubt, do a quick search and check the 50+ other threads on this same question...

11. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Some bridges/saddles seem prone to this-
    rig it or get one that's not prone to this problem.
    Plenty of info avail on this, and options.
    I haven't seen duct tape mentioned yet...

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think I'll start recommending driving a 10-penny nail through the hole just to nail that saddle down. If it sticks out the back of the bass, clip it off.