1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Saddle/Intonation Setup Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stoom, May 2, 2015.

1. Stoom

Stoom

Sep 1, 2012
    UK
    I recently swapped my fender medium-light strings with a heavier set of ernie ball power slinkys (110,90,75,55).
    I've had to adjust the truss to compensate for the extra tension which I'm reasonable happy with.
    My action still seemed a little high so I've lowered my bridges. Whats bugging me is the intonation, my fretted 12th notes are sharper than the open note (some guides say use the harmonic 12th?) so I moved the saddles back a bit but it doesn't seem to be making any noticable difference so I left it alone because I've got a feeling something else is wrong. How far back should they need to go? I'm thinking only a few mm. Is a bog standard ga1 tuner good enough?
    Another thing I've noticed is that I sometimes get a slight buzzy noise coming from the bridge/saddles. Could it be that the strings are too big to sit on the saddle correctly and thats also why I'm struggling to get an accurate intonation tuning?

Aaaarrgghhh!

2. Do the strings sit corectly in the nut?
    did you press on them at the bridge to set the break angle?
    thats alk I got.

96tbird likes this.
  3. Stoom

Stoom

Sep 1, 2012
    UK
    They fit but only just it must be quite tight, I had to file the 2nd string nut a little.
    I havent pressed them on the bridge, never heard of that, I'll try it.

4. It took me years of frustration before I learned of it myself.
    From talkbass, I might add.

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    It's best to set the witness point at the saddles and the nut (and at the tuning peg)- then you have a straight point-to-point string with no 'lazy' loops over things.

6. The advice to use the harmonic is a relic from the days before electronic tuners. Just make sure your fretted note matches the open one.