Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saddle mat'ls for under-saddle transducers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Giraffe, Nov 12, 2005.

1. I am a huge fan of the tone produced by Rob Allen and Rick Turner basses with under-saddle transducers. While I don't feel that they replace the DB, I feel they come frighteningly close under the right conditions.

I am interested if anyone has an informed opinion concerning the relative merits of corian, Tusq, ebony, or any other saddle materials when used over the transducer in these acoustic guitar style bridges. I am interested if anyone has a suggestion that can make the hardware a little less "quacky". Some rounding off of the high end seems to be the most logical place to start, but the corian and ebony solutions sound very, very close in tone, and I am wondering if there is something better or different I might try. The passive tone control helps, but there is a certain piezo like quality that I would like to bury a little more naturally.

If you've never played a well-adjusted Turner Renaissance or Rob Allen, you should keep your ears open for an opportunity to do so. A set of Thomastic Spirocores, a decent amp and speakers, and these instruments are remarkably expressive and useful in many musical settings.