1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Saddle movement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LowNloud1, Jul 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    Have an unusual thing happening on my Fender bass. Over time, the saddle for my G has slowly lowered on one side on its own. I figure I need to use some Loc-tite to keep it stable but has anyone else had this happen?

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Common enough to not be unusual.

You're on the right track. Loctite (not red!), liquid thin CA glue (releases with heat), or fingernail polish (by far the easiest and most often used) applied to the threads. Most of the time you can wick a little drop of nail polish on top of the saddle at the screw. It will set in five minutes or so.

LowNloud1 likes this.
  3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Remove the saddle screws. Add a tiny drop of blue loctite on the threads and re-insert the screws. But keep turning the screws as the loctite dries. You will feel the screws tighten up as the loctite dries but keep turning the screws back and forth. Eventually the loctite will dry and the screws will likely squeak as you turn them. This way the screws will still be adjustable, but they won't work loose by themselves. Works a charm.

digmeout, Warhawk, Lownote38 and 5 others like this.
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Another trick is to gently deform the threads with your needlenose pliers.

Riis

LowNloud1 likes this.
  5. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I would not advise doing this. It can cause problems later. The locktite or nail polish are tried and true and don't harm anything.

LowNloud1 likes this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Not my first choice either...never tried it, never had to. Just recall seeing it here on the forum. Don't have a clue as to whether it would result in long-term degradation. Face it, a $2 bottle of Loctite will last the rest of my musical career.

Riis

LowNloud1 and RSBBass like this.
  7. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    If the hex nut is not too far down into the saddle like .5 mm, you can put a drop of nail polish in. If you need to adjust, use a needle to chip out the nail polish.

8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I am face same problem with my previous MIM Std Jazz's stock bridge saddle screw, but zero issue with all 3 Fender Vintage threadsaddle bridge in my current CV 60P 50P and previous 60J.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021