Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

saddle problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BryLMoo, Mar 12, 2005.

1. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    the saddle that holds my E string keeps screwing up. the action will not stay the way i set it. i think the screw is stripped or something. it just doesn't want to hold the string up...

any advice on how to fix it? should i just take it to a guitar shop and ask for assistance?

thanks!

2. If it's the height adjustment screw on the saddle itself, you can try a drop of clear nail polish. What makes nail polish so great, compared to loc-tite or superglue, is that it'll easily break if you want it to, you don't need a solvent to remove it, and it'll stay put until you remove it.

3. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    i see where your going with this, but i really want something replaced. i meen, if its broken, i want it fixed...not rigged.

i appreciate your help though =)

4. I pretty well understand the fix/replace thing. For example- you can strip out the strap button hole in the body of the bass, you can replace the body, redrill a new hole in a different spot, you can drill out- plug and redrill the old hole, or the wisest, easiest and cost effective way is toothpicks and wood glue. It's not really "rigging" it's a valid repair method.

If you want to replace the saddle, that's cool. You may have to order a full set of saddles to replace one. Or you might have to get a whole new bridge. Again, it may just be the adjustment screw.

If I were going to replace the saddles on my bass I'd go with String Savers.
    http://www.graphtech.com/product_display.asp?SearchType=brand&brand=StringSaver
    Bass saddles are about 3/4 way down the page.

I haven't used them on any of my basses, but all of my guitars have them and I wholeheartedly recommend them.