saddle problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BryLMoo, Mar 12, 2005.

1. BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    the saddle that holds my E string keeps screwing up. the action will not stay the way i set it. i think the screw is stripped or something. it just doesn't want to hold the string up...

any advice on how to fix it? should i just take it to a guitar shop and ask for assistance?

2. If it's the height adjustment screw on the saddle itself, you can try a drop of clear nail polish. What makes nail polish so great, compared to loc-tite or superglue, is that it'll easily break if you want it to, you don't need a solvent to remove it, and it'll stay put until you remove it.
  3. BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    i see where your going with this, but i really want something replaced. i meen, if its broken, i want it fixed...not rigged.

i appreciate your help though =)
  4. I pretty well understand the fix/replace thing. For example- you can strip out the strap button hole in the body of the bass, you can replace the body, redrill a new hole in a different spot, you can drill out- plug and redrill the old hole, or the wisest, easiest and cost effective way is toothpicks and wood glue. It's not really "rigging" it's a valid repair method.

If you want to replace the saddle, that's cool. You may have to order a full set of saddles to replace one. Or you might have to get a whole new bridge. Again, it may just be the adjustment screw.

If I were going to replace the saddles on my bass I'd go with String Savers.
    Bass saddles are about 3/4 way down the page.

I haven't used them on any of my basses, but all of my guitars have them and I wholeheartedly recommend them.