saddle question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Sep 12, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    im pretty sure that the individual string saddle needs to be the same height on both sides. but, are all the string saddles supposed to be the same height? ive been lookign at my ass lately and the E and G are one height and the A and D are another. thanks
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1. The saddles on your ass are almost always different heights. And the saddles on your bass...

:D :D :bag:
  3. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok. so they should follow a curve then?

thanks for the links.
  4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    They will typically follow the curve of the fretboard, though some prefer more or less curve. Depends on how high you have the action as well - you can get treble strings closer to the fretboard than bass strings.

But while the strings should follow a curve, the saddles should each be perpendicular to the top - both height adjustment screws at the same height. This way they have equal pressure which will give you better coupling (more sustain, less chance of rattle) and they will resist moving side to side.
  5. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok cool.

well like i said, my E sits lower than my A. my A and D are the same height and my g is the same height as my E. and im wondering if that effects the magnetic fields of the string to p-up. im sure it does. so ill just have to tinker a little. id like to drop both my A and D lower, btu dont know if i should.

6. I'd refer to the gary willis set up guide, it's very useful and helps you to get the best results. It's not something you can do just by guessing, you need to make sure your neck has the correct relief and check your intonation as well. Then adjust your string height with the use of a feeler gauge. Practice makes perfect, you'll find by the 100th time you've done this you may still run into a bass that won't let you set it up correctly!!
    Good luck.