1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

saddles are bottomed out- action still a tad higher than i like...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blowabs, Mar 2, 2008.

1. blowabs

blowabs

Apr 7, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Would you file the slots on your bridge saddle to get your string height down? (the nut slots are almost at the fingerboard)

The saddles on my Sq VM Fl are bottomed out. The neck is as high as it can go without causing weird fret noises. I have the Gotoh (black) 201 bridge on it. I just need the action to be a lil lower. The stock Fender gave me no such trouble - but I have blacked everythng else out on the bass.....but it is getting frustrated- almost want to give up and put the stock (chrome) back on thp it ruins the look!!

Have people filed their saddles down?
    What size file did you use?

Thanks
    Allan

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You should try shimming the neck. That would most likely fix your problem.

3. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you tried shimming the neck?

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    If replies 2 and 3 don't work, try shimming the neck.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Why didn't anyone tell him about shimming the neck? For shame!

6. blowabs

blowabs

Apr 7, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    hey Darkside

cant figure out why nobody but you suggested this to me.....
    gonna take your advice and only your advice and shim the neck... was gonna use them on my SX ...but with a lil truss rod work i got that situation well in hand.

Never shimmed a neck before..i have two 2" by 2 3/4" shims ... put both or one under the bottom of the neck pocket at an angle or straight up and down?

thanks

7. Before you do that, try unscrewing the bridge saddles from the Gotoh and replacing them with the original Squier bridge saddles. They'll be smaller and it might fix the problem.

8. blowabs

blowabs

Apr 7, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    do that.
    original is chrome, Eagle.... everything else is black ....if everything was still chrome i would definitely do that.

I changed the neck plate to black- that was an exercise in itself... i had a nice seal there and now thats gone- but everything is tight again, finally.

How to shim is my question..with the one i have already.???

thanks

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Don't shim the whole neck pocket. Take something like a credit card and cut it to fit all the way across the neck pocket and between the bottom neck screws and the end of the neck - about 1/4"-3/8" to 2 3/8". That'll give the neck a slight angle. Try that, and go from there.

10. Well, it was worth a shot. :meh: I had to do that to a bass and it fixed the problem.

11. blowabs

blowabs

Apr 7, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    thanks..CC width - got it!

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    A credit card is pretty thick. I'd use a business card.

13. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    If you don't want to shim the neck, you can always whip out a 1 HP router and route a 1/16 to 1/8 inch deep pass under your bridge (after removing the bridge of course!). It's a more drastic approach than shimming. Of course you may not be quite as insane as me.:hyper:

14. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Now, that's what I'd call taking extreme measures!:D

15. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Counter-sunk bridge is nice though, as long as you're neat. I will always try to avoid shimming, I think it decreases the contact in a vital area.

16. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I use new playing cards as shims and spacers all the time in the shop because they're consistently 0.010" in thickness.

They're very convenient for shimming the outfeed fence on a router table for jointing, predictably changing the thickness of a stacked dado set, etc.