1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Saddles don't move Fender V Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HunterBurgan4Me, Aug 25, 2012.

1. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Mar 6, 2010
    After a music shop repaired an electronic fault with my bass they somehow threw the intonation out. I've tried adjusting the screw things at the back of the bass but they don't move the saddles.

Has anyone got any advice?

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    You might want to check the pickup height. If the pickups are too close to the strings it will throw off the intonation. Did they do a setup as well as the electronics repair? If not, I doubt they changed your intonation unless they were getting paid for it.

Also, you're probably having trouble moving the saddles because they are under string tension. Loosen the strings a little bit and adjust the saddles. Then re-tune and check your intonation.

3. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Mar 6, 2010
    the music shop I went to is a bit shoddy, my theory is that they knocked something while they were doing the electronics as it was perfect before I gave it to them. I'll check my pick up height and give loosening the strings a go, thanks

4. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Mar 6, 2010
    Hmm well they put the bridge pickup far too high but it didn't sort out the intonation so i'll try loosening the strings and see if the saddles move

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If all else fails, try new strings.