Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sade "Lovers Live" CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

For Sade fans, her new CD "Lovers LIve" is now in stores. Of course, I had to have it.

It was taped at two live concerts she did in California as part of her "Lovers Live" tour which never came to a city near me, unfortunately.

Normally, I don't like "live" records because I don't like the sound of applause on music. But after the first song on this album, "Cherish the Day", I hardly noticed the clapping and screaming of enthusiastic fans.

The arrangements are fresh, yet still recognizable as the originals. Best Paul Denman's bass lines are always clear. If I could be any bassist in the world, I'd be Denman. (Roscoe Beck, second. Christian McBride, third. Micheal Inez, fourth.)

I was hoping there would be some new material from Sade, but all the songs are tried and true. Still I guess I never tire of the classic Sade music either.

This album will get lots of play on my stereo. I just hope the band will soon come out with a new studio album. Hope springs eternal.

2. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Talented girl and with a back up band like Sweetback, how could she fail. Still, I doubt she will ever be able to top her Best Of album.

As a musical act, I would rate her and the band as one of the top two or three world wide.

Yep, I'm a fan.

3. Boplicity

Sadly, I agree with you, Nanook, that Sade may have already done her best work. I wonder if it is because there was such a long break between studio albums that the creative juices dried up. Also in the meantime, her band had to pursue other projects to earn a living. That may have diluted the "Sade vibe" somewhat or even a lot.

They still perform very well together, but they are pretty much performing their past work. Hopefully, they still have a few more albums in them, but probably the future ones won't produce several more blockbuster hits like "Ordinary Love." I hope I am wrong. Maybe Sade and her band will surprise us.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There is a DVD of this being sold on special offer over here - I'm tempted to get this - I quite like to see the band playing; but I suspect the camera will focus on Sade almost exclusively? ;)

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I listen to "By Your Side" almost every night at work -- on the Muzak station!

Seriously though, I really like that song and DLed it to share with my girlfriend. Not only did I get a cool song, but I also got some bonus points with my lady. The only other experience I have with Sade is "Ordinary Love" -- another very cool tune.

6. Boplicity

Bruce, the VHS of Sade's early nineties tour does show delicious close ups of Stewart Matthewman, (both on sax and on guitar), his rythmn guitarist, the keyboardest and even some of Denman. One can even see the drummer clearly just behind Sade as he is on an elevated platform.

Of course, that may be ZERO indication of how many closeups these talented musicians will get on the new DVD.

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I have the older Sade DVD, the orange one. I think it's from the mid 90's, great show!

I have the new CD, and I pre-ordered the DVD concert. Can't wait to see it, but I don't think it ships until the 1st week of March.