Sade - Lovers Rock

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Acacia, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Anyone picked this up yet? Standard Sade style? I ordered the ltd. 2CD set last nite and will hopefully have it in a few days. The 2nd CD has 4 live tracks.

Her band is great.
  2. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    umm I bought it a week ago. It did not include the live cd though. The album is good, but it hasn't any real hits on it. If you're looking for a new "smooth operator" you are going to be disapointed. But it's still Sade:)
  3. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm cool with that. I really wanted the bonus CD, but will enjoy listening to her band, they are as smooth as she is.
  4. Got it last week nothing really jumps out at you on it . But have always been a huge fan of her's and her band,the bass player may have been a subconcious influence to my buying a Stingray , Paul Denman has laid down some excellent grooves over the years ,He's a master of the art of knowing when not to play. and is it just me or does SADE breathe more sexuality into her style than just about any female vocalist I've ever heard. Nice to know some of you guys dig her as much as I do.
  5. Sade rules bro!!! Smoother than creamy peanut butter!!!
    I must stop thinking about her!!I must stop thinking about her!!I must stop thinkingabouther.....
  6. the dictionary has a new entry under smooth
  7. I saw her perform on SNL and on the Public TV chanel.She justs gets better with age!!!She also writes her own material,with some collaboration,of course.I truly respect her as a person and an artist.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw Sade on "Jool's Holland's Later" in the UK which is a program that has several live bands on. The band were very good but the material they played from the new album seemed to pale into comparison with "Is it a Crime" which they did as well and it was just such a huge contrast! The new stuff sounded very bland with little going for it - although Jools Holland said he really liked it, but then maybe he was being polite and wasn't going to say anything bad with Sade standing in front of him! ;)
  9. Paul S. Denman rules. What a great player.
    Try playing "Paradise" as an endurance test. Same lick, over and over, for 3 1/2 minutes. You have to do it in first position on a 4-string, though!
  10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Sade has been a favorite of mine for years. I used to listen to her mellow music on the way to karate belt exams to calm my jangled nerves. I have watched the video of her last major concert tour so many times it is a miracle the tape hasn't broken. I purchased her double CD at K-Mart which is unusual for them to carry music that sophisticated.

If I could be ANY bass player, it would be a definite tie between Nathan East and Paul Denman. Denman just always plays the RIGHT bassline for the song. I have tried to visualize other basslines and can't come up with anything competitive (if you can "vizualize" a bassline.) I also admire him for being able to play both electric and upright basses.

As for the new album, like others here, nothing has jumped out as an instant winner like "Ordinary Life" or "Cherry Pie", but I'm going to take my time and let the album grow on me. I have already decided, however, that the single being shown on VH-1 will not grow on me, as it seems a liitle too much like late fifties pop ballads and I was tired of those in the late fifties. It may, however, please younger folks who weren't around in the late fifties.

I've noticed the band has tried to incorporate some more contemporary beats in some of the songs. I'm not sure if it is working for me or if it sounds forced just to accommodate newer tastes. But, I'm giving Sade's "Lover's Rock" some time to grow, because she deserves the effort.

Jason Oldsted
  11. Hey Bruce,who did Jools Holland play with? HIs name is very familiar and right now I'm having a brain fart or I'd be able to remember.Please help,Thanks!
  12. Boplicity

A quick search of the web shows that Jools Holland, a "nimble-fingered blues and boogie keyboardest", is best known for his work with Squeeze.

Jason Oldsted
  13. Thanks Jason.I shoul've known that.Doooooohhhh!!!
    Hey could someone post a picture of Sade on this site?
    Acacia! Hint Hint.
  14. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    smooth operator... sexiest bassline ever
    hang on to your love... most swaggering bassline ever
    is it a crime... smoothest bass solo ever
    never as good as the first time... coolest bassline ever

alright, i'll quit now.

(but it sucks how his presence in the band has diminished over the years. i mean, listen to sweetback and lovers rock, then listen to diamond life and promise, and you'll know what i mean...)
  15. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    didn't joe zawinul try to replace jaco's bass lines with synthesizer?

didn't j kay try to replace stu zender's bass lines with synthesizer?

is there a pattern here???
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That was what i was getting at by mentioning the live TV show - on "Is it a Crime" the bass was prominent and integral to the song and it sounded exciting and involving. On the other tracks from the new album you might not have even realised that there was a bass player there! And the whole sound was just "bland"! :(

I blame the US - there is a big TV ad campaign running now on UK TV for "Lovers Rock" which leads on the line "The Album taking America by storm!" :rolleyes:
  17. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It finally showed up and I have been listening to it alot. I like the songs but what I don;t like is that she is using a drum machine...grrrrr how I despise them things!
  18. Hits you in the.... jaw.I've still yet to hear it.Can't wait.I did see a video and must say she is still gorgeous after all these years!!!
  19. Boplicity

Yes, Sade is still gorgeous after all these years and I bet she will be like Lena Horne, who was elegant and beautiful into her eighties.

That said, I've listened to the new album numerous times and have decided it is a little TOO mellow to the point of being...well...sleepy. As it is almost soporific, it would be a good album to put on to help one fall asleep.

Now, I ask, why couldn't that talented band have come up with at least one song with a big Sade-style hook? It isn't as if they had to slap the music together on short notice. How long has it been...eight years?

I have to confess I am disappointed with this latest Sade effort and hope the band can spring back on the next album with material that better demonstrates their considerable talent.

20. Boplicity

Just for your information, the Sade album, her first in eight years, has now gone double platinum and its first single is in the top ten on VHI and is in heavy rotation there. I guess her legion of fans were really hungry for her music.

Jason Oldsted