1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sadly parting with old amp/cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pcollin, Jul 26, 2012.

1. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    Twelve years ago I moved from Chicago to Boston area and could only take what I could fit in my car. I did take my basses but had to leave my Marshall 200 watt rackmount amp (model 3520) and EV 1150 M cab with a friend. Well, my friend had to sell his house and I had to get rid of that gear. Time ran out yesterday and I got a grand total of $200 for both. Although I currently play through a great rig, I'll miss the great sound from that cab and all ease of dialing in that amp. Anyone else ever use that same old gear?

2. So you haven't played it in 12 years?

That much time can play tricks on the memory.

3. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    Not being nosey, but in 12 years time, you never made a trip back to Chicago ? Also, you could have had them shipped - the price would not have been all THAT bad !

4. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    It's a l-o-n-g story. But the cost of shipping an 80 lb cab and heavy amp just never made sense when I could buy local. Yes, I did visit and then always had something to play through when I got together with my buds.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Well, somebody got a helluva deal.

Really, you could've found a way to get that stuff home sometime during the last 12 years. Apparently it wasn't worth much to you...like less than $200.:meh:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used to have an old Acoustic 136 100w combo amp from the 70's that I wish I still had today. The 136 was Acoustic's solid state answer to the B-15. That said, it's probably just a little nostalgia and I'd no doubt like my Micro VR much better for a go-to combo, especially since the 136 weighed more than a B-15 or at least felt like it at the time.

7. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I think there is a 136 at a local shop; pm me if you want your nostalgia fix satisfied.

Raz

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ain't nothin' wrong with a little nostalgia, man. That old stuff has a sound all it's own. Despite all the technical advancements that've been made over the years, it isn't exactly the same ya know.:smug: There's a reason old stuff is still in demand. I sure as hell wouldn't turn down a '55 Chevy, even though there's stuff that can get you from A to B more efficiently, etc., it ain't the same.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wonder if it's my old one ;)

Thanks but I'll pass.

10. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I wasn't knocking nostalgia at all; in fact, if the thing had a bit more volume and a DI i'd prolly own it. Although not that old, a '90's Trace Elliot rig is what would do it for me - lemme know if you see an AH1000 w/BFC cab laying around...

11. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Ok mate, one never knows...

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    A Trace rig was one of the "go-to, gotta-have" backlines around here in the '90's, along with a WT800 and pair of 410's. Basically, whatever Tommy Shannon was playing:p. Nice stuff those Trace rigs were.

13. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    The SMX12-band 4x10 combo I had rocked. Sold to fund another purchase - that was dumb. Got an Ampeg b2re in my sights along with a SWR Henry the 8x8; we'll see how that performs.

A couple of weeks ago I checked out a head like the one I had that came with a 2x15 cab for a friend. Told him if he didn't like it after a month that I'd buy it when it was in the budget. He liked it (it gets sickly loud Trace tone). Oh well...

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The B2r/Henry combo is really going to depend on what "default" tone you like. It could be great, but it may very well suck.:p

The B2's/B4's lack some of the thick girth that most Ampegs have, and you might feel like boosting some knobs to put it back in.

The Henry is a mid-punch machine that doesn't have/can't handle a big, fat, warm bottom.

The combination of the 2 has a chance of being good, but maybe a bigger chance of being disapointed and possibly even blowing speakers trying to make do something it's just not made to do.

Not trying to pee in your cheerios here, the thing might be just what you want, but keep that stuff in mind and go easy on it at first.:D

15. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I don't eat Cheereos so no offense taken :)

My bass has Bart pup's and pre so it is naturally bottom-heavy, but I did try a b2r at another store and thought the tone through a 4x10 cab was pretty good. My tonal goal is more mid/upper mid and highs so I think the combination will fit my needs. I'm aware of the low end limitations of the cab but don't think I'll have a problem.

Thanks for the input though.

16. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    No, but I know the feeling. Just sold my old Peavey Combo 300 I've had since around 1991. It was just sitting, though. But, I'll still miss it.