1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowksy Metro and Lakland Skyline neck profiles

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim Dombrowski, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    How does the neck profile (front to back) and the fingerboard radius on a Sadowsky Metro 5 compare to a Lakland Skyline 5 (particularly a Skyline JO5)?

Thanks,
    Jim D

2. Jim Dombrowski

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    bump - hoping for a response

3. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY
    I have played both and I lean toward the Sadowsky.

4. Jim Dombrowski

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks for the response, but you haven't answered my question.

5. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I have had my Lakland 55-94 since 2001 and have yet to play a bass with a more comfortable neck:p The ONLY bass to come close to the Lakland is my Elrick. As far as the Metro 5 I owned, it had a chunkier neck than the Lakland. The fret board was flatter as well. The chunky neck and flat fret board made the neck too uncomfortable to me. NTM, the god-awful poly finish on the back of the neck. The Lakland neck is thin with a VERY comfortable compound radius to the fret board. The Lakland is finished with a satin finish which is very comfortable. IMO, Lakland's necks smoke Sadowsky's......just my .02

6. ...and, what needs to be added, the JO 5-string neck version is identical to the 55-94s. Exactly the same with Skylines. But, the back of the neck on Skylines is finished with a satin finish, whereas the 55-94 has a neck soaked with tung oil

7. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

Ya, I forgot to add that the 55-94 neck is the same as the JOBO5 and the 55-01/02......I just automatically assume people know that to be true. Are you sure about the tung-oil on the USA 55-94's??? I thought they had a satin finish as well? I can feel something on the back of my neck.......it is minimal, but it doesn't feel like oiled bare wood. I thought only oiling a neck was a bad idea as it still leaves the wood exposed, which can cause a pathway for moisture to enter the wood, which can cause severe neck issues. Because of this, I would bet $$ that the USA Laklands have some type of finish, whether it be satin poly, satin nitro, or oil with a waxed finish.