Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky 24 Metro with or without VTC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by simongpaez, Apr 1, 2005.

1. :confused: I know that the VTC is a really muts plus for vintage Metros, but is it also a must for 24's?
    I have heard that for 24 is not a big deal since de soapbars are really modern and more aggresive.

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, having an NYC model, I can tell you I'm glad I have it. It just gives the bass an added element that it normally wouldn't have. As you mentioned, by design, it's a more aggressive bass, but with the VTC, it allows you to get a smoother, less bright "modernish" sound if that makes sense. I've had other Sadowskys without the VTC, and I've come to the conclusion that the VTC is a must option on his basses, at least for me.

3. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Just acquired a Metro (MV5, from Halftooth himself, coincidentally - thanks, bro!) and had a VTC put in on its way to me... $$$ well spent, IMO. I think it is a very useful tool to tame the high end on Roger's basses - they have a lot of innate high end, and sometimes I find it VERY helpful to be able to back off on that some without having to dial down the treble preamp control.

I also own a 24 fret model (no VTC) and I don't feel I need one with it, however - the more aggressive highs are an important part of the slightly overdriven sound of that bass.

All IMO, of course :D

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    To clarify my thoughts, if you were to only own one bass, and it was a Modern, I would recommend the VTC for the added tonal flexibility. It's certainly not needed for that type of bass.

Greg-
    Glad your're likeing the Metro...w/ the VTC!

5. I couldn't live without it!! I've got it on my Vintage 4 NYC and on my BRAND new Ultra Vintage 70's and I don't think I would want ANY Bass without the added flexibility I get with the VTC!!!!!!!!!

Peace,

T

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The original question was about the Modern Basses, so it's an apples and oranges thing to compare them to the regular Sadowsky J basses.

Like Gene (halftooth) said, it's a useful thing to have but I wouldn't say essential. I think you'd get more use from it on an ash body than with an alder body, since the ash will generally be naturally brighter.

At the end of the day, it all depends what sound you want. Someone playing jazz on a 24 fret modern will be looking for a different sound than someone playing rock.

7. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have all my Sadowsky basses with VTC, but I guess it is not a must to have it. I myself turn the VTC at full all the time.

8. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I have a MS5 without VTC, and I don't feel like I feel it. But I like a bright and crisp bass sound. IMO a muddy and non-treble sound gets lost in the mix. In my passive basses with a tone control, I keep the tone at almost all of the time at full.

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Dows that mean you have one Sadowsky too-many? ;)

10. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Too many Sadowskys? Surely you jest - can there be such a state? :smug:

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Nah! Just checking.. :D