Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky 24f or Vintage 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    please weigh in with your preference in a sadowsky, does the 24 fret capture the Sadowsky trad vibe or does it only get modern type sounds?

I like the idea of the extra string (but I can live without it) and those soapbars seem to be in the ideal place for some versatile sounds. Do you find the 24f to be versatile enough for many different styles?

I know the vintage will get the trad sound I want but will the 24 fret 5 do that and more? or is it a totally different animal?

Thanks, Marc

2. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    pumps and a bump...

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I could of swore I replied to this thread. :confused:

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    You did and mentioned the 24 fret Jazz bass by Sadowsky. Will there be a metro version??

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their is a Metro 24 fret bass already out and being played, their really solid basses in construction and quality.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

7. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I think he was referred to the 4 string version of the 24 fret that Roger will be coming out with shortly....

8. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    You may try a search, as there have been similar threads on talkbass in the past...

Bottom line is that you won't be able to get the "J" sound with the 24F "Modern"

9. +1

They sound very different.

Jeff

10. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have always liked the Vintage 5.

11. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    What, what, what?! 4 string 24-fret Metro?!

Nino, Please tell me that somewhere down the line Sadowsky will offer an alder body with a maple neck.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

An alder/maple 24fret Metro would be high on my GAS list if it existed... I'll take mine with 5 strings :)

13. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Yeah, I'm looking to see a 24 fret with jazz pickups in a metro

14. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have been flirting with the idea of buying a Metro Vintage 5 with Alder/Rosewood because I love the look and it's a little different from my two Ash/Maple F Bass BN5's. It appears from all I've read, the Ash/Maple V5 is the 'magic' and infamous Sadowsky Tone. I get a great slap sound from my F Bass BN5 (Ash/Maple) but I'd love to also get a great slap tone from whichever Sadowsky I wind up with. I've always wanted to check out a Sadowsky, but have never had the chance to play or hear one. (No, I can't afford to buy two and send one back)

My thinking is that it is wiser to get a bass that has a slightly different character than my F Bass. BUT ... if and when I get a Sadowsky, I want to experience the best, most notoriuous magic that they are known for; the classic Sadowsky tone. Is the difference in tone that dramatic between the Alder/Rosewood Vintage 5 versus an Ash/Maple Vintage 5? One of the sounds I really want to nail is a great bridge PU Jaco-esque growl, but also a great slap tone. Can they both be had on the same bass? Seems like great slap tone is more analagous to 70's J basses and great Jaco Mid-growl tones are more analogous to 60's J basses. Thanks for any input regarding the tonal difference between an Alder/Rosewood versus Ash/Maple Metro Vintage 5 (JJ's).

15. + 2

16. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Jeff Rader has a 24 fret that I would sell a kidney for. It sounds sooooooosweet....

It doesn't do the J sound, but it does a modern sound that I can't find anywhere else....

Don

17. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The NYC 24 fret 4 is still on the drawing boards. I don't know when there will be a prototype. I don't know if there are any plans for a Metro 24-4.

Most likely, I'll own the 1st 24 fret 4. :)

Alder bodies with maple necks are offerd only on the NYC models.

18. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Natural on an Alder body is available with a rosewood fretboard. Imagind a 24-5 like this:

[​IMG]

19. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I know, I know, but if the all of the pieces are already in production, perhaps sometime in the future an alder/maple metro will come into being.

Besides, if I keep wishing it to be true, eventually it will, Right? :D