Sadowsky ... 24Fret or Vintage 5 string model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SCT1422, Oct 8, 2001.

1. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Anybody ever compare both models side by side...I was interested in the Vintage 5 originally, but I like the upper access that the 24 fret has to offer... Is one superior to the other as far as sound and tone.. I play a variety of styles.. I also have 2 Lakland 55-94's which I plan to keep and I want something alittle different than that... I've already spoke to Roger and Bryant at Sadowsky and actually just put an order in for the 24 fret, but I would like some opinions from other fellow bassplayers... Thanx... Steven...
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hi Steve. Both basses are great!!!! I personally bought the 24 fret 5 because I liked the sound better. But I also liked the downsized body.

About the sound, they both sounded awesome. When I first played my natural 24 fret 5 @ Roger's shop, he had another bass (same model) w/custom BassLines humbuchers in it. The EMG's that are in mine are a little brighter & more of what I was looking for. BUT the BassLines sounded nice & warm & very full. I tried a nice vintage 5 (trans white w/tortoise guard & morado f/b) w/sadowsky humcancelling pick-up's & it was great!!!!! Played like a dream & sounded even better.

Like you said, it's nice to have the extra frets just in case you need them. Both basses sound incerdible & you can get alot out of each bass, sound wise. I don't think one is superior to the other.
  3. Just to make matters worse I played a Sadowsky PJ5 alder + Brazilian RW that was orgasmic!!!
  4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    can you get the 24 fret bass with jazz pickups instead of the emg's? id like to see a 35" scale 24 fret jazz bass with a traditional style body ideally. lull came close, i just wish he wouldnt have came out with a body stlye that was so close to roger's 24 fret bass
  5. Yes, I think so. When I ordered my fretless w/24 frets Roger and I discussed either emg's or his jazz PUs.

6. You couldnt go wrong either way, as both are really nice. Only way to tell is probably get your hands on them and see whay you like! :)

Either way, you will have a great bass!

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I think about half of the 24F 5's he makes actually have J pickups, but I think he usually just hides them in soapbar coverings for aesthetics.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You're right. The EMG's he uses are 40 J's. J p/u's in soapbar coverings. The BassLine p/u's he uses in the 24 fret 5 string are humbuckers.
  9. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey guys.. Thanx for the replies.. I just received pics from Roger for the bass I ordered and I wet myself... What a gorgeous top... It's a 5A quilt in Caramelburst.. I'm probably going to go with the Morado board and gold hardware.... Hey Nino, I see in another post you still haven't received payment yet for your 24 fret... How long does payment take from Japan... I'm curious, I work for the Postal Service myself... Anyways guys thanx again... Steve....