Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky 5 neck-Tyler 5 neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Jun 11, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I may be getting into a Tyler 5 here soon and wanted to know if any ya'll have had a chance to do a side by side of the two.
    I am a Sadowsky nut (nut #247 around here!) and love their necks, so I was wondering how the Tyler matches up.
    From what I can tell, they have the same spacing at the nut and bridge, but the Tyler has a slightly asymetrical neck.
    Anyone? Comments? Thoughts? Dirty remarks?
    Also, I heard the Tyler kills in the vintage tone dept. How does it stack up to the Sads?
    I played one in Nashville a few years back and it was stupid nice, butt ugly, but nice! Almost made me a Tyler first then Sadowsky man, but I came around! ;)
    I play everything from Funk to Country to Jazz to Blues to Rock to Top 40 (I sub like crazy) and I think it will be a nice addition to my little collection.

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I would say the Tyler has at least one thing the Sadowsky does not, and that's a killer switchable preamp. I've played both 4 string versions and I really liked what the Tyler was doing. Mind you this was over a decade ago so things have probably changed (for the better I would imagine)

Tonally I think it blows the Sadowsky to pieces.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

What HASN'T Jerome had at least one of? :eyebrow:

:D

4. I've had my Tyler 5 for about a year and a half and I love it. I haven't owned a Sadowsky 5 in a long time (my current Sadowsky is a Vintage 4 PJ), so I can only base the comparison on what I remember.

In terms of neck profile etc., I think the edge goes to Sadowsky. My Tyler won't set up nearly as low as my Sadowsky. It has the old Wilkinson bridge, and even with the saddles all the way at the bottom and the neck almost completely straight, it's not as low as the Sadowsky can get. I realize that lowest possible action isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I guess it says something about adjustability.

That said, I think that what you've heard about Tylers tonally is absolutely true. Nothing can touch it in terms of fat vintage tone combined with clarity. I guess it's worth mentioning that I go through a lotta gear; I've had close to 200 basses over the last six years, but my Tyler Standard 5 isn't going anywhere. So even though I wish I could get it to set up lower, I have nothing bad to say about what it does in the tone department.

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

The Tyler is a bolt-on, right? If so, you could shim the neck a bit. I bet the fretwork is on par with the Sadowsky, so wafer thin shim should give you the extra adjustment capability you desire.

And, yes, it is an amazing thing that you have had the Tyler for as long as you have had it. And, that DOES say a lot.

6. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Cool, thanks guys, I should know something by Wed on it.
    IMO I feel the Sadowsky has the vintage tone with a smooth pre-amp nailed, this makes me very interested in how the Tyler sounds.

7. Maybe I didn't describe it too accurately. Or else maybe I just use my Sadowsky for different stuff. But you'll really hear a difference, I think, especially in the clarity of the lows and low mids. I think you'll dig the Tyler--I hope you do!

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    There's something about a Tyler which sez "serious mofo" to me. It's kind of the bass equivalent of a Desert Eagle .50 caliber. Not the kind of thing that rich hobbyists use because they can (Fodera/Sadowsky, etc.). My .02 cents.

9. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Yeah, but isn't Tyler in the same range as Sadowsky & Fodera if priced new??

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    AFAIK they're up there. I wasn't comparing them with regard to price, just with regard to the type of players using them. Many pro's use Sadowsky and Fodera (obviously), but they also seem popular with hobbyist/weekend players who can afford them. Besides being rare, period, I don't see or hear about many hobbyist/weekend players using Tylers. They seem to be most prevalently wielded by west coast studio guys. Thus, my above comments.

As Brad Johnson, "I could be wrong". My comments aren't meant to denigrate Sadowsky or Fodera. I want one of each.

W

11. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

I dig.
    I didn't think you were bashing either bass, just didn't get your meaning!
    And now that you mention it, kinda true to eh?!?! :meh:

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    TB'er: rockcityguitars is a Tyler buff, plus know James personally. PM him...

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's Bill Sharpe slapping the piss out of his Tyler.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    I own a number of Tylers (various 4's and an Abe Laboriel 5), and a Metro 4 and Modern 5 (NYC) Sadowsky.

I have to agree with Funky on the action issue. It's the only thing I find annoying about 2 of my Tylers. I shimmed the neck on my 4 and it worked fine. However, it just bothered me knowing the shim was there. The Tyler neck joint is the most perfect I've ever seen, and I hated messing with it. Anyway, I had a couple of Naimish bridges built that got the action where I want it to be. (A more expensive solution, but I feel better about it.) In terms of width, profile, etc., I love them both. They are both fast and comfortable. The Tylers are rock solid stable. I live in an area with very humid summers, and I've NEVER had to adjust the truss rod on my Tylers. I have to tweak the Sadowsky(s) seasonally. Also, there are NO deadspots on my Tylers. While my Sads aren't bad at all, they do have some noticeable spots. Fret work is perfect on both. The Tyler has really nice rolled fingerboard edges. Action aside, I'd give the edge to Tyler on the neck.

Interestingly, my older Tyler 4's can adjust to very low action - lower than my newer ones. When I was measuring for the Naimish bridges, it seemed like there is less neck/fingerboard above the body line than on the older Tylers. (And Sadowskys, for that matter.) I had 2 Tyler 5's prior to the one I have now, and they had the same action "issues". (As Jerome said, it may not be an issue to another player. I'm probably a real wimp in terms of wanting very low action.) So even though the action wasn't perfect for me, the basses were still VERY playable, and the sound was so good I was more than willing to deal with it.

The Demeter pre Tyler uses is awesome. Clarity has been mentioned a few times already. It's extremely powerful. The eq shelving switches make it look more complicated than it really is. The nice thing is it's virtually impossible to dial in a bad sound. The mid control is really nice too. I love the Sadowsky preamp, but the treble gets harsh for my tastes - I virtually never boost it. I do boost the bass, and I like it that way. I feel the Demeter is just a bit smoother - I can boost the treble and still like the sound. IMO, it just gets more powerful, it doesn't get harsh.

I think it's kind of a win/win situation for you. Either bass is going to work perfectly for everything you play. I really like having both brands, and I can see why there are die-hard fans of both.

Pat

15. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Well, I had a chance to play the Tyler today.
    The first thing I noticed is the neck is a bit chunky-er than I'm normally used to.
    But damn, did it give it up!!
    If all goes well, it will be in my hot little hands sometime next week.
    I'll know by Wed 100%.
    But heres the catch, it's actually a fretless that I'm gonna have fretted. I hope I'm not offending any of you die-hard Tyler guys!
    I just a tad bit concerned that the actual feel will get a bit more chunky than it already is. Again, it's not bad right now, I actually dig it, I just hope that the 1/16" that the frets add to the overall thickness of the neck doesn't affect it much.
    Anyone else ever fret a fretless neck???
    I'll post the question as well in a new post.

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Is this the lined fretless that's on www.thelowend.net?

17. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yes, the standard neck is chunkier than the Laboriel model.
    I like the Tyler and Sadowsky for different reasons. They
    are both such great basses. My ONLY gripe with the Tyler, is
    that it eats 9 volts (2 of them) If I'm really playing alot, I'm
    changing them about every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. The neck shim
    is very common in all high end manufacturers of bolt on's. I
    put a Hipshot bridge on mine. Yessss! I have the same as
    B Sharp. Silver sparkle, under blue. It looks rediculous on a
    big stage with lights, or on video. It hasn't got quite the slap
    thing as the Sadowsky, but its still a monster.

18. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Yup, same one.
    BTW, played thru the LowEnd True Voice Pre-Amp..........umm.......Freakin SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Mike-

Man, I must have missed you. I was at the Ohio Guitar Show until about 2:30. I played the same Tyler. The neck was thicker than thick! Too much for me. Cool instrument though! Maybe we were there together and I didn't realize it, but I don't think so. Good luck! We had a good time at the show and picked up some new toys.

W

20. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Oh man!
    We drove down from Detroit and durring our travels (ie. running our mouths) missed a turn and got lost. Didn't show up until 4:45!
    Should have been there about 3:30!
    The wife and I are famous for just hopping in the car and road tripping like that.