Sadowsky 5 players tell me about em?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I have tried most exotic basses out there and I still love my Fender Jazz 75 and Jazz 2000? To me they play just as good and sound better to my ears? Whats up with that? Well I have been thinking about the Sadowsky 5 for a long time. Are the RJ just as good as the NYC? Are the bodies smaller than a standard fender Jazz? How is the playability and tone compared to my fender Jazz 4's? I am just fet up with expensive exotic basses. I mean they are really nice but just not my tone.
  2. People've got different tastes for basses, and as ironic as it seems, there is a huge amount of people that go back to that fender jazz or precision. I don't blame them. There's no shame, jazz basses are great basses :smug: :hyper:

Supposedly these new Tokyo models are NOT supposed to be a "cheaper model" like most Korean model basses!!! It's a guy named Yoshi Kikuchi that apprenticed Roger. It's not some guy trying to "rip him off"... They will be significantly less, but quality should remain quite the same as the NYC models. Some people may still like the fact that Roger's hands have been on their Sadowsky so they may actually throw the extra couple grand into it. Roger will still have a larger number of models to choose from, and if I had it my way I'd buy from him, but the prices aren't reachable. Tokyo line prices are. If you haven't touched a boutique bass you like yet, and you are partial to jazz basses, a Sadowsky will *probably* be for you. :)
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey FB,

do a search and you'll find TONS upon TONS of info. you might even find a few of my own reviews of my reverse PJ and vintage jazz 5. ;)

btw, be sure to check out the new "Metro" series, which is similar to the USA models, but with way more finish and wood options than the more Marcus-esque "Tokyo" series.
  4. When I first heard of the metro series and checked sadowsky's site, I correlated it with the Tokyo shop basses. So there's a difference between the metro's and tokyo lines??? I thought they were the same thing. :confused: Help me to understand :bawl:
  5. Metros have the known Sadowsky preamp while the Tokyo has a different preamp. There is a thread going now about the Metro line and Roger posted on there himself to explain it all.
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

The NYC line is the most extensive. You can get whatever you want on a custom order. Wood choices, colors, pickups, + or - options, fancy tops, you name it. They are made in NY and will run you the most $. The "Tokyo" line has a full sized jazz body like you have now, single coil pickups, block inlays and binding on the neck, two different types of preamps. They just started a Tokyo w/o the blocks and binding, also

Available soon will be the Metro basses. They will be just like the NYC basses. Downsized body, humcancelling pickups, same preamp, etc. They will not offer these basses with options. A few colors will be available and certain wood combos will be standard. You will be able to get a 24 fret 5, 21 fret 5, and 4. They will have the vintage look with pickguard and control plate, except for the 24 fret 5.

All the Japan basses will be a bit heavier than the NYC models. Roger told me that the light ash bodies and channeled alder bodies won't be used for the Japan basses. Typical 1lb to 2lbs heavier from the data I've seen

I own two with one on the way. I've been through 10 all together over the last 4 years. All were outstanding. I've owned pretty much every bass out there from Fender to Alembic, Mtd to Fodera, Roscoe to Pensa. These basses are the most consistant, sound the best, easiest to use Preamp, lightest, and best attention to detail instrument out there IMO!!

If you like your Fenders, you'll love a Sadowsky. When in NY, drop by the shop. You'll be welcomed with open arms and you'll be able to judge for yourself. There are always basses on hand and plenty of different amps to run them through. A great experience overall. Roger also offers a 7 day trial period on his instruments. Who does that?

Go for it. It will save you $ in the long run. Your gas will be cured expect that you'll buy more Sadowsky's. Like me!!!!!!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree completly with Rob, Sadowsky 5 string basses have made me drop all other solid body basses. I have been playing for a whille now and i can say Roger's 5 string bass neck is the best i have ever played. The flatness to the back of the neck makes it very easy to get around the neck. In Addition the sustain from his basses is the best in a fender styled instrument.
  8. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Bingo. I gotta admit I played an FMT that came pretty close tonewise though. Too bad it was ugly as hell. :)