Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky 9" vs 12" radius neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Dec 16, 2005.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Did Sadowsky switch form 9" to 12" in the last few year?

And the new ultra-vintage models use 9" today?

How does this change the instrument in feel? Why is 12" used today instead of 9" do you reck'n?

Thanks!

2. gflowers

gflowers Sadowsky Nut Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I can't answer all your questions, but I bought a used Sadowsky Ultra vintage a few years back with the 9" radius and immediately noticed the difference in the way it played compared to my other Sads with 12" radii. It made enough difference to me that I sold the bass.

On a separate note, I ordered a new Sadowsky a couple of years ago shortly after they went to the current bridge from the older Gotoh (3/4"). When I got the bass, it just did not play right and I found out from Roger that the current bridges have a slightly wider spacing (13/16") at the bridge. Being the prince that he is, he replaced the bridge with an older Gotoh and refinished the bass, free of charge. Now THAT is customer service and THAT is why so many people (myself included) love Sadowsky basses.......and they sound pretty good too!!!!

Verbage aside, slight differences can make a huge difference in playability, so play them both and judge for yourself.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think their still offered in both.

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I like the 9", though my favorite is the good old 7.25"...when I tried the 12" it just seemed to flat...I have never understood why they don't offer the 7.25 radius, especially when trying to make "vintage" basses like the sadowsky ultra vintage series and Laklands etc...

5. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I hope this isn't a dumb question - but does a different radius result in a "chunkier" or "less chunky" neck?

If so, I would assume 12" is more chunky?

p.s. thanks - that's good info

6. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark

no ;)

7. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Cheers - how would you know neck chunkiness from specs assuming 1.5" nut?

8. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Some manufactors state width at nut, for example 1.5", and then depth at 1st and 12th fret....width and depth have nothing to do with the radius of the fingerboard...and width does not determin the depth...my best advice would be to call the company, in this case Sadowsky, Roger is very helpful and will give you all the details you want...

9. gflowers

gflowers Sadowsky Nut Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Neck radius is all personal preference. I personally like a 12" radius which is why I prefer my Sadowskys over my vintage Fenders for everyday playing. I think the rounder 9" radius makes the neck feel more like a baseball bat than the flatter 12" profile, but that's just me.