Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky/Aguilar/Fishman - all the same?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IvanMike, Mar 14, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm sure this has been asked before but here goes
    i recently played a Fender MMiller and remembered how much i like the sadowsky preamp
    some years ago i recall many people claiming that the sadowsky outborad preamp was identical to the fishman preamp which was available in the same format
    later on i hear that aguilar designed the sadowsky preamp - now he has his own preamp (available in outboard and onboard formats just like sadowsky has)
    question is, what's the difference between the fishman, sadowsky, and aguilar outboard preamps?
    and if they're different animals, which one sounds better? (haha - loaded question)
    :p

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Timmah!!!!!
    thanks for the threads - didnt answer all my questions but helpful
    i wasnt really considering a di at this time but reading that di one gave me gas (only mild)

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm not really familiar with the Fishman Preamp but I did own the Aguilar & Sadowsky out board pre's.

The Aguilar is an 18V preamp while the Sadowsky is 9V. I don't remeber the exact frequencies, but the Aguilar boosts more bass & treble {an 18bd boost @ 40Hz (bass); 4KHz (treble)} while the Sadowsky has 13bd boost @ 40Hz (bass); 4KHz (treble).

The Sadowsky is clearer & crisper. The lows are crystal clear & the high are incredible.
    The Aguilar seems abit bassier, I woun't say muddy but not as crisp as the Sadowsky.
    IMO, the Sadowsky is a better sounding pre but the Aguilar pre is really good too.