Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Alder body Natural finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C-5KO, Aug 13, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I was just surfing around to see if I could find a picture of a Sadowsky Metro with an Alder body/Rosewood fingerboard, with a natural finish.

For some reason, I could not find a picture? I also took a quick look for a NYC Sadowsky with an Alder body and natural finish... couldn't find it.

Is Alder that ugly? :confused: Does somebody have a picture of a Sadowsky bass with an Alder body/Rosewood fingerboard, and natural finish?

edit: Looking for Vintage model... or any picture at all... <ignore edit> :rolleyes:

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Ash is better Natural.

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I noticed that most of the alders were bursts.

Oh well. Just was hoping to see what one looked like. Poor, ugly, alder. :scowl:

4. Alder can have a nice grain sometimes, but usually ash has a much more outspoken look.
    If you want an alder body (nothing wrong ith it soundwise, great vintage sound) I would suggest a '59 burst.

R.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, alder looks crappy as a natural finish. has this dark pink, cedar like look that isnt very appealing.

best to try using a natural maple quilt or flame top w/ the alder body.

6. Not bad, but in general it's nothing special. Ash is usually used since it tends to have a heavy, defined grain. Alder's grain is more subdued, so it's a better choice for solid colors, and often used on bursts as only a portion of the body wood shows through the paint.

7. Oh my bad....I thought the poster asked for a pic and I gave him one of exactly what I thought they asked for......I will NOT get sucked into another Sadowsky Flame war!!! Your opinions are just as valid as mine......personally, I thought it was "something special"......I could be wrong, I guess??

Peace,

T

8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    +1000

BTW, it is a great looking baby!

Mo'

9. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I think that bass looks just phenomenal. Simple, refined. Sign me up!

10. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Perfect! Thanks for digging it up. I think I went through about 30 pictures of basses then gave up.

It's actually not that bad. Almost looks like a subdued natural blonde finish if you ask me.

11. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    My personal preference, I like the smooth grain of that natural-finished alder over the more pronounced grain of ash...and my bass is ash-bodied! But I guess that's why there are 31 flavors.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I've never seen a natural alder body that looked good...

....until tonight that is! :hyper:

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think JR Brown has or had a beautiful Sadowsky 4 string with a flame maple top on Alder in natural finish.

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    LOL...you may want to reread what you just wrote there.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks. Steve have you ever owned a Sadowsky?

17. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    This one is in Germany:

[​IMG]

18. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I think that I'm starting to like alder natural more and more.

Just something very nice and relaxing about it.

Honest and naked, like some sort of naked bass ;)