Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky & ashdown owners. a little prob..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squice, Sep 8, 2004.

1. I friend of mine has sadowsky bass and Ashdown combo 4x10"
    And he has big problem with the input meater.. looks like the bass is so hot that the amp cuts all the time..

Has anyone had this problem.. ? do the sadowsky have a seriously hot output?

by the way.. He has the amp settings this way: 8 is full...
    Bass 2 Mid 6 Treb 3 , Volume is on 4 and he cant take the input volume over 1/8 without nonstopp cutting.

Bass settings are.. Bass / Treb in mid position.

Has anyone here had this kinda problem...?

Best regards...

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Turn down the volume control on the bass and boost the volume controls on the amp. Might send a less hot signal to the amp.

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Has he got it plugged into the right input?
    High (Impedance) for passive basses, Low (Impedance) for active.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I run mine through a Demeter pre. No problems. I have 3 Sad's. Make sure you are running it through the active input.

Rob

5. Yes.. hes got it plugged into the right input, the active one..
    He has tried alot to get by this prob. all kinda settings, and tried the passive input, but this kinda sounds to me like somethings just wrong with the sadowsky.. he has a Ibanez bass, and he´s running it fine through the amp

as you could read above i can´t have the input volume on more that 1/8, that is seriously low. even if we were talking about a hot output bass.

i´ve got the same preamp ashdown 500 evo, witch is 575w. and i´m only running a 200w cap with it, and have pretty hot output bass. and even with that small cab i don´t have this problem.. i for sure have to be careful so i don´t drive it into clipping. but still i can have the input volume a little over half..

Best regards

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if its cutting out, sounds more like a battery problem. wouldnt be surprised if the sound cut out altogether. try replacing the battery in the Sad.

7. yo Joker wassup!

back to the thread. I have an Ashdown MAG mon12 as a practice/small gig rig. And I have a Sadowsky PJ5.
    I have no problem going into either input. On the active input, I can crank my bass at full volume and have the gain at about 7, (10 being max) with out clipping.

I have no clue as to what may be causing the problem, but is he having this problem with a different rig as well?

8. I use a couple of ABM heads and my Sadowksy doesn't slam the preamp like that at all, even if I turn the input gain all the way up. I did have one of my amps cut out, but it was due to something loose in the amp, and when it was sitting on my cab, the cab would sometimes rattle it out of place.

9. He´s doesn´t have this problem with another bass and this rig.. but he hasn´t tried the sadowsky in another rig. I told him to try the sadowsky on my rig becouse we have the same preamp and i don´t have any problem at all. So that whats he´s going to to.

But thanks you all for the respond..

best regards..

10. I think the problem is, that particular Sadowsky is trying to tell him something: "ITS TOO FRICKIN' COLD HERE IN ICELAND - MOVE ME TO MIAMI BEACH!!!"

No,...I'd take it to someone to have them get a look at the soldering points - 'cause 'cutting out' ain't gonna be a high or low (for that matter) output issue. And w/ the settings discussed; it doesn't sound like clipping.

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Do Sadowsky pre's have a gain pot inside the control cavity?

If not contact Roger and his crew. They are good people and should help.

12. Yes maby you´re right.. He just hates the cold.. But really he couldn´t have got here on better time. This has been the warmest year i can remember.

But.. clipping or non clipping.. the input meter is just glowing red all the time. I don´t know if the gain pot is in the control cavity. I´ll
    let him check that out.. maby thats just set too frickin high..

13. Interesting to say the least...keep us posted.